Old hen with vision loss and cloudy eye

Quailobsessed

Crowing
Oct 12, 2019
Australia
I haven't been on this site for a while but I have been wanting to hear some advice about my chicken with an eye issue.

This is Gertrude, my 12 year old hen. Despite her age she is quite agile and healthy. However she has some vision loss, particularly in her left eye, which looks cloudy. She struggles to see food and has rather poor coordination. It's only the pupil which is cloudy; the rest of the eye looks normal. The pupils seem to dilate just fine.
20230502_151929.jpg
20230502_152046.jpg
20230502_152059.jpg

This is her right eye for comparison. There doesn't seem to be any cloudiness or issue. She seems to be able to see better in this eye too.
20230502_151953.jpg

Despite her vision loss, she is doing quite well. She doesn't really get bullied by the rest of the flock, they actually mostly seem to respect her. She gets along well with two of my other hens who have eye problems (they were rescues who are both missing an eye).
I just want to get some advice as to if anyone knows what this could be. I have tried to read up on cloudy eyes and ocular marek's seems to come up but it doesn't seem to quite fit. To me it looks like a cataract but I want to make sure it's not due to an illness that can otherwise be treated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom