Old hen. Young flock

NikkiC399

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
Is this normal? So to give you a backstory on mrs. Popeye here (hen on the outside), one day she showed up in our yard and never left lol I reached out. No one claimed her. So instead she claimed us. She free ranges in our yard, occasionally goes to church (next door), but ends up back in our open barn window to be carried to this run where she sleeps at night. She’s been here probably 6 months now. While our girls lived in our brooder room until this weekend. we introduced them to their new coop (inside, attached to that run), they spent there first night there last night. They are 16wks old. 3 roosters and 15 hens. This is mrs. Popeyes second meeting with them and it seems she hates the roosters. I missed the first few minutes when she buffed up and chest bumped the screen. I’m thinking this is HER yard and she’s establishing that with them but I’m not sure how this is going to go once we start freeranging the flock. Any and all advice is welcomed. Mrs. Popeye is an old bird but still laying. I just don’t want to see her hurt.

Attachments

• 6AC258EB-A798-4A22-B7AA-AB90F7780A7D.jpeg
    6AC258EB-A798-4A22-B7AA-AB90F7780A7D.jpeg
    808.3 KB · Views: 5
Yes, she is claiming the territory, and the roosters are interested in her, because she is laying. She thinks they are upstarts, and will be doing a bit of education. That red comb is a signal to roosters. At 16 weeks, it won't be long until the others are laying too.

3 roosters is going to be a lot for that many chickens, but maybe it is going well? I would not worry about the older hen, unless she is very meek, but the pullets would be giving me some concern.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom