Old hen?

rtj18175

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2015
We have a hen which we found 2 1/2 years ago, and thought she might be 1-2, but can't say since we never had chickens until her. She is a Bantam Brahma. She has been normal and a good layer. Two days ago we noticed she wanted to stay in the coop, in a nest. She lays an egg, but won't come out to free range. She makes a quivering noise. I keep water and food for her in the coop, but not sure she is eating or drinking. Could she be an old girl?

Description consistent with hen being broody.
We keep the yard chemical free, and they are getting 20% protein in their layer feed. Fresh water for all 7 everyday, and a very clean coop. She is the top of the pecking order. She makes a faint and weak noise. I took her out of the nest and noticed she was a little shaky for a few seconds on her feet. She retrieved herself back to the nest

We keep the yard chemical free, and they are getting 20% protein in their layer feed. Fresh water for all 7 everyday, and a very clean coop. She is the top of the pecking order. She makes a faint and weak noise. I took her out of the nest and noticed she was a little shaky for a few seconds on her feet. She retrieved herself back to the nest
If she is being broody, how do you stop it?

Back
Top Bottom