1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old hens and edible eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by steelfarm, Apr 1, 2009.

1. steelfarm

steelfarm New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    When I arrived at work this morning, one of the ladies that I work with said she watched a Science Channel documentary on egg production lst night. They stated on the documentary that a hens eggs were no longer fit for human consumption after the hen had reached the age of 72 weeks.

Is this true? I don't think so, but I wanted to bring to the real experts here to see what y'all had to say.

2. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    Heck no! I do believe that commercial e g g "farms" (so to speak) don't keep hens longer than about 18 months because production begins to drop - and because often "battery cage" hens are in pretty bad physical shape by the time they reach that age. Really sad stuff, actually. After researching it, I don't think I can ever buy a dozen e g g s from a big commercial production plant again. It's too sad.

Anyway, I am sure some experts here can chime in and tell you how long a h e n will usually lay, I know it is more than a year to a year and a half!

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not true at all.
    I have heard of a hen that was 10yrs old and still laying. Nothing wrong with her eggs; I mean e g g s .

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by