Old Jap Bantam Lethargic with Full Crop

bleu chick

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Houston, TX
This is Winnie, our little Japanese Bantam Hen that is at least 15 years old. She hangs out with 9 full size hens. About 4 days ago she was lethargic, tail down, etc. So I noticed her crop was very full and pretty firm (like putty or dough). I began giving her coconut oil and massaging it thinking it was impacted. It didnt help. No matter when I feel her crop it is full. She was wormed with fenbendazole about a week before this happened. She is VERY thin. Her poop is a very dark green and it has been consistent. Last night I gave her a stool softener and it did make her poop alot - still firm and green (see pics). I giver her water with vitamins diluted. She eats really well . Shes eating lay crumbles, oats, scrambled egg, canned corn, blueberries, live mealworms and rice. (and I dont know where she puts it). But she can barely walk at this point.

Sour Crop - I dont detect any smell.
Also forgot to mention her back end seems to moved up and down. I video'd it but I guess we cant add vids to the post.

Any suggestions will be great. This is my elderly dads favorite chicken so she cant die.

Attachments

• 20220401_093103[1].jpg
    20220401_093103[1].jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220401_093132[1].jpg
    20220401_093132[1].jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220404_192114[1].jpg
    20220404_192114[1].jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
This little Japanese Bantam Hen is at least 15 years old. She hangs out with 9 full size hens. About 4 days ago she was lethargic, tail down, etc. So I noticed her crop was very full and pretty firm (like putty or dough). I began giving her coconut oil and massaging it thinking it was impacted. It didnt help. No matter when I feel her crop it is full. She was wormed with fenbendazole about a week before this happened. She is VERY thin. Her poop is a very dark green and it has been consistent. Last night I gave her a stool softener and it did make her poop alot - still firm and green (see pics). I giver her water with vitamins diluted. She eats really well (and I dont know where she puts it). But she can barely walk at this point.

Any suggestions will be great. This is my elderly dads favorite chicken so she cant die.
Wow, 15 is old.
Sounds like sour crop. How does her breath smell?
Also, what are you feeding her? I'd give her some scrambled eggs, as a treat, everyday for a bit.
Can you post a pic of the poor little lady?

Unfortunately, at 15, she could die at any time. That is extremely old for a chicken.

I'll tag @Wyorp Rock , hopefully she can help you more with your little one. Best of luck!

Wow, 15 is old.
Sounds like sour crop. How does her breath smell?
Also, what are you feeding her? I'd give her some scrambled eggs, as a treat, everyday for a bit.
Can you post a pic of the poor little lady?

Unfortunately, at 15, she could die at any time. That is extremely old for a chicken.

I'll tag @Wyorp Rock , hopefully she can help you more with your little one. Best of luck!
I updated the post and added a pic.

Foods - Crumbles, Oats, scambled egg, canned Corn, Blueberries, live mealworms, Rice
Also forgot to mention her back end seems to moved up and down. Not sure how to properly describe it but she has been doing that for several days. I video'd it but I guess we cant add vids to the post.

I updated the post and added a pic.

Foods - Crumbles, Oats, scambled egg, canned Corn, Blueberries, live mealworms, Rice
Also forgot to mention her back end seems to moved up and down. Not sure how to properly describe it but she has been doing that for several days. I video'd it but I guess we cant add vids to the post.
Poor little thing, she looks like she's really not feeling good. I wouldn't give her anything other than the crumbles. (What kind are they?)
That's a lot of treats, and too many are bad. Everything other than the crumbles is considered a treat.
Like her tail? That would be labored breathing.
If you upload the video to a platform such as YouTube or Vimeo, you can then copy and paste it here.

Sweet Girl! She's showing her age isn't she.

The crop issue is likely a symptom of something else going on. Does she still lay any eggs at her age?
I would continue to treat the crop symptoms like you have been doing, refer to the article below as well.

You dewormed, what dose and for how many days?

I would watch that she's drinking well, let her eat. Unfortunately, at this age she may be in a decline that she can't come back from. I hope this is not the case.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sadly Winnie passed last night. She will be so missed.

We feed Purina Layena Crumbles and Pellets. They get Cabbage, Oats and Sunflower seeds as treats. But I dont think Winnie ate the cabbage.

I worm intermittently with fenbendazole and ivermectin pour on 2 to 3 times a year.

Sadly Winnie passed last night. She will be so missed.

We feed Purina Layena Crumbles and Pellets. They get Cabbage, Oats and Sunflower seeds as treats. But I dont think Winnie ate the cabbage.

I worm intermittently with fenbendazole and ivermectin pour on 2 to 3 times a year.
:hugs I'm sorry to hear about Winnie :hugs

15 years, I'm sure she sure will be missed. So sad, especially for your Dad.

Back
Top Bottom