1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old New Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DeerFangRanch, Mar 23, 2013.

1. DeerFangRanch

DeerFangRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

After a few years I am back (that's why I'm an Old New).

Had laying hens, but when we moved a few years ago, did not have the time to get a secure coop ready for them. They were given away to a very happy home. Their last chicken had died from old age - so a great place to be a chicken.

Anyway, we are converting our greenhouse into a chicken coop. Since we've been able to get the garden space ready, I won't need the greenhouse for vegetables this summer. We'll be adding insulation, interior walls and have decided that we would splurge on an automatic door since we aren't having to buy a building for a coop.

This house is at 8,500 ft (down from the last one at 9,500ft altitude) so will be a snug, warm coop for the ladies. We have bear and mountain lion (along with smaller predators) so will have hot wire protecting the coop and run.

Have ordered our Favorelles for a Mid May delivery (our last freeze date is June 15th) and are very excited and are having fun planning and plotting :)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, above the clouds, and [​IMG]! Or I guess that's welcome back! Happy you are back in the poultry game. Good luck to you and have fun!

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    [​IMG] from our farm in West Georgia. your setup sounds nice for the birds..

4. DeerFangRanch

As we work on the coop, I hope to post pictures.
    Not happening today 10 degrees with wind and snow - better to be on computer.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Is your avatar an orchid? I don't see that well even after having cataracts out. I hybridize streptocarpus (house plants) but have them on light stands, greenhouses aren't practical in our climate and don't need that much space.

7. DeerFangRanch

Yes, it is an orchid. Each house we've lived in has "liked" certain plants (and hated others).

This house loves orchids. They bloom and rebloom without much fussing on my part.
    Most plants do well in this house. Even poinsettias bloom each Christmas.

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello from Ohio and glad you are back
    Your new coop sounds like a neat idea. Cant wait to see pics when it warms up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by