1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

old question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hatchcrazzzy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have 10 hens and i want to put in a new roo what is the best way

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do you have a roo in there at present?

If you do, remove him first.

If your other roo is healthy, throw him in. He'll teach them who is boss soon enough.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That was my initial response but I wasn't sure, so I will go ahead and second that. [​IMG]

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Open the coop door and say, ladies, this is Mister Roo....Mister Roo, these are the ladies...Dora, Flora, Nora, Cora, Lora, Zora, Mrs. Pepper, Mrs. Omnivore, and baby kate. Mr. Roo will be staying with us a while, I am sure you will show him your hospitality. Mr. Roo if there is anything I can get for you, don't be afraid to call.

me,
    g

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Make him look really impressive by tossing in some cracked corn or another treat right after adding him to the pen. If he's a good husband type he'll start buk-buk-bukking to the hens as if he just cooked it himself. They'll think he's Mr Wonderful for showing up with such a tasty treat to share.

6. If you have a small flock (those were the days) you can put the roo and a bowl of yogurt in with him. You will be amazed at what happens next. The roo will call the hens and they will instantly love him and want him and be with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by