Old rabbit hutch as a coop for Silkies (pics) What do you think?

Looks good, but take one end and cover with wood on three sides to provide them with a wind block (and floor). You could make a pop door (may be has an access door already) and put a ramp for ground access. BUT don't expect them to use the ramp to go back up at first. Make the ramp wide, wider than you would want. It'll make it easier training them to go up and down.

How many? Depends on size, it looks like 2 x 8, so you could have 4 with run access. You could even wire the bottom of the cage legs and let that be their run.

Last edited:
I've kept bantams full-time in old rabbit hutches and it works great. In fact, wire rabbit cages are my favorite way to raise baby chicks. I cover the sides with cardboard, the bottom with hay and set the heat lamp on top. The feeders are well-apapted for chicken feed, too. I use the solid-bottomed feeders for chick feed in the chick pens and the screen-bottomed feeders for layer pellets in the adult pens. It doesn't take them long to figure out how to drink from a water bottle, either, although now I've installed a nipple watering system.

If you don't give them access to the ground, their toenails tend to get long and will need trimming, but you mentioned they would be on the ground during the day.

Quote:
Couldn't thay just use a ramp or somrthing like that. To get in and out of the hutch on their own, or do silkies not use ramps like other chickens.

Maybe I could prop open one of the 4 doors and put a really wide ramp with a really easy slope so they could make it up and down easily that way they could get to the run for the day

Ya I went out and measured the hutch and it is 12 feet in length and 2 feet in depth so each room is 3 feet in length and 2 feet in depth. Hw many do you think could fit? 6Silkie Chickens maybe?

My silkies are housed in an old rabbit hutch. I lined the bottom with flakes of hay and put a ramp so they can walk up and down. I kept them inside for 2 whole days and then after letting them out to free range, they automatically went to it at night - no problems.
Others made mention of putting up walls so they wouldn't be cold - not an issue here where I live but other than that, it seems like a perfect home.

Back
Top Bottom