Old red bators restoration

Orangefish

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Oklahoma
I have an old MW incubator with 6 trays. Has anyone had problems with humidity? I have a baking pan in the top and bottom with a sponge in them and I can't get it above 41% for lockdown tomorrow. I know it won't help me with this hatch bit has anyone had to seal theirs with some kind of wood sealant? I have a pretty good hatch rate but last time on my test hatch of 4 eggs, 2 weren't fertile, 1 died early and the last one stuck but survived. Has anyone did a complete restoration of these old 'bators?

Are there any ventilation holes that you could close off? That might help, but don't close them all.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't have the same one you do, but I did notice, in my test hatch, lockdown/hatching I had a BEAR of a time getting the humidity above 40% Had several stick and had to help, I finally ended up sayin to heck with it, swapping eggs from the Brinsea to turner trays and putting the unhatched eggs in the Brinsea, where I know I can keep the humidity stable for more then 20 minutes.

I'm not sure HOW to fix the problem. I've only got one vent open, about 1/2 way for airflow, as they do need the fresh air, but humidity won't go higher. I'm thinking a new coat of paint might help.

Good luck with your humidity!!! Hope you can figure it out!!
fl.gif

Quote:
what is a MW ?

I would check the door seal.. If it is chipped or loose, replace it.
for lockdown, this time, duct tape the door all around to seal it.

you don't need much of a hole for air for the chicks.. so plug all holes except a small one..

most incubators are very easy to restore..

Oh, monkey ward ,,,LOL I have 3 sportsmans,, I have all the holes taped shut with duct tape on one of them.. there are extra holes where the water line goes in .. a 1 inch hole will handle 200 cu feet of space.. there are only about 8 cu feet of space in a cabinet.. so it doesn't require a lot of hole..

if its an old wood one. Leahy manufactured it. I have a single tray 1 . I use it to incubate, and hatch in a old sportsman 1250. I keep a pan pie pan of water in mine.It just fits reg egg turner, so Sets 42 and will hold about 35 to 40 on humidity with a pie pan of water. I used the orginal wafer, but upgraded to one of those 15.00 china elctronics. I love it. I do not hatch in it. But it does have the sliding top vent and 4- 1/2 in holes in the bottom. I duct taped 2 of the bottom shut , plus the bottom joints between the boards. I leave the top slide open about 1/4 inch and did put an old puter fan in . It is kinda set and forget. I fill the pie pan about every 3 days and even with the old wafer would hold temp great. I am hatching some right now that were in this old gal for 18 days. I set another 42 Friday morning. I just thought the electonic themostat might give me a bit better temp control, I set mine up with 2 like the sportman. Left the wafer set at 101 and have my electronic set at 99.6.If you get it figure out, you will love this ol gal. I have an old 300 egg Des Moines hot air kerosene burner. This will be my next project. Convert it to electric, update with electronic. and I am thinking home made roll x type turners.3 tray. 100 per week, hatch in my hatcher. I love these old incy's

Back
Top Bottom