Old Roo young cockerel question

PacMan1582

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 2, 2014
I have an amazing 18 month old Buff Orpington roo. The guy is nice, never messes with my kiddos (had issues with that in the past with some Barred Rock roos) and takes great care of his girls. In the brood box I have a 6 week old young cockerel with four 6-7 week old pullets, they are all Black Australorps. I want to keep him as well, and when they get older they will be introduced to the flock, my whole flock free ranges on about 2 acres. Is there ANY way to get my Buff Orp roo and my Black Aussie roo to coexist in the future? Thanks guys!

If they are not cooped and confined there shouldn't be to big of an issue. And as long as you have plenty of hens to occupy their time. How many coops do you have.

If they are not cooped and confined there shouldn't be to big of an issue. And as long as you have plenty of hens to occupy their time. How many coops do you have.
I have one 8'x14' coop with a 5'x8' house, I lock them up at night due to the amount of coyotes in my area. I will have 9 hens total with some more hatching this week to be introduced in the coming months...

I believe the ratio is about 10 hens to 1 rooster. You may be a little short to prevent fighting. My friend has a lot of hens and quite a few roosters, they seem to live in harmony after the initial pecking order was established. But during establishing the pecking order they will get hurt and can fight to the death.

It seems the idea on this can vary as well, I have read 10 to 1, 5 to 1 so I'm really not sure. I was just hoping because BP's and BA's are a pretty docile breed they'd get a long... Maybe I need to find some more pullets then.?

Really there is no way to know without trying it out. Since instinct tells your older rooster to assert his dominance and the younger to fight for his they probably will fight. Maybe try choosing a few hens for the new rooster and keeping them in a enclosed run for a few weeks and see how the older reacts to that. Then they each have an established flock... I'm not an expert so this is merely a suggestion

I think I will do that. I'll put all the BA's in the chicken tractor and the older ones in the big coop.

It's worth a shot. They'll probably be a little upset that they have been separated so I'd do it close to or right at bed time. That way they fall asleep their and in the morning they'll be non the wiser

Back
Top Bottom