Old Roost, New Chickens

MGB

Chirping
Mar 8, 2018
Hey y'all,

Brand new chick owner here, excited to be part of the club. Motivations are many, from nutrition to sustainable living to teaching a stronger work ethic to my twin daughters (aged 14). I also dig systems working in synergy, so I really love the idea of linking my gardening and brewing hobbies into a neat little circle. With one daughter a vegetarian, and the other about to join her (after getting the chicks and falling in love), a healthy, cheap, and tasty source of protein is key. Plus I just really love eggs.

I married into an old VA family that managed to hold onto the ancestral family farm and though no one lives/farms there now (just a rustic getaway), and we live in a suburb outside Richmond, I still feel like I am carrying on a bit of the family tradition by raising crops and chickens. Yesterday, I scavenged a few pieces from the big farm coop that has been slowly disintegrating for decades, including sections of the roost so my chickens can also carry forward the tradition and at least symbolically sleep where their "ancestors" did.

Anyway, that's probably enough of an introduction. I'm sure to have tons of questions. I'm a bit under the gun with chicks in hand and no coop so I better get cracking!

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Hello and welcome to BYC - great that you've joined us.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

G’Day from down under MGB :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

Please do check out the Topic of the Week discussions Pork Pie mentioned. I have found these to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom