1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old Style Chicken Coop, Help Please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by funonahonda, Apr 14, 2011.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Hello,
    We are looking for a picture of a old time chicken coop for a project for my daughter , the one that have the windows at the very top of the coop,
    and the roof line is higher on one side than the other. Thanks alot for your help

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

My in-laws' coop is like this--it's probably 60+ years old. I don't have any pics but I might be able to get some for you after this weekend...

3. Robert Boyd

Robert Boyd Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Tons of coop pics in the Coop section

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There is a reprint of an old book by Prince T. Woods Fresh Air Poultry Houses on the subject -- I think there is a free download of it available somewhere online or you can buy a paper reprint from www.plamondon.com

There are also a lot of threads on here on the subject... one way of finding them is thru this search https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=1884493435

A
    variety of BYCers have that type coop, mostly newly built but I beleive a few have the actual old ones refurbished. The only names that come to mind offhand are FredsHens and JackE but I know there are a bunch of others including some excellent examples.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  7. BirdWalkFarm

BirdWalkFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I am considering buying this old coop from a neighbor less than two miles from me . It is at least 60 years old and the people that bought the property want rid of it . I think it would be a shame to just tear it down . He wants two hundred dollars which is great but will cost me eight hundred to have it moved to my place . The coop is all wood except the tin roof , 10 ft by 20 ft and is 9 ft tall in the front and slanted in the back . I feel it is in stable condition , looks kinda ratty but I see great possibilities . The floor is also in good condition and has the nesting boxes still in it . I think this is the type of coop you are referring to .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:I think he should pay YOU to take it off the property.....don't get me wrong, it's a nice old coop, but he is totally taking advantage of you by charging you anything.....you are saving him a lot of work

9. BirdWalkFarm

BirdWalkFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think he should pay YOU to take it off the property.....don't get me wrong, it's a nice old coop, but he is totally taking advantage of you by charging you anything.....you are saving him a lot of work

My husband will agree with you and says it will take alot of work if it gets to our house in one piece . The first quote was for 450.00 to move it but he didn't look too confident to me .

10. ryanbonin

ryanbonin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011

I agree %100 - I could build a coop just like that with all NEW WOOD for near $1000 which is what you're looking to spend in the long run... They should give you the coop for FREE, and even at that I still wouldn't pay $800 to have it moved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by