older chick w/ splay leg?

thank you so much for the advice! so sorry for not posting for a few days, been pretty busy. i’ve had her on probiotic water and a small amount of yogurt since you posted and her crop is empty this morning. should i let her eat now and just give her water every hour or two until she learns to drink on her own?
edit: she isn’t on antibiotics
Good that she's not on antibiotics and that her crop is emptying. Refresh me on what her diet consists of please. Also, does her beak area have any more sour smell to it?

If you feel like you're certain that her crop has emptied properly (overnight on its own), I'd transition her to a moist mash of Starter Feed, some Fried Egg Yolk and Yogurt mixed together with ONE of the following for the next 2-4 days:

- few drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench OR
- a few drops of Poly-Vi-Sol OR
- about a 1/16 tablet of Vitamin B-Complex crushed/pulverized

Mix this to a very moist consistency to help aid in her digestion of it until we're sure she's past crop blockages, and feed her first thing in the morning. Make sure she eats as much as you can get in her too: for a 2 to 3 week old chick, that would be maybe two to three pea-sized amounts, but the more you can get in her the better. When we make the mix, we mix only enough to feed the chick in one sitting and refrigerate the Egg and Yogurt until we need to make the next mix...

FOR DOSES/FEEDING LATER IN THE DAY, JUST USE A MOIST MIX OF THE FEED, YOGURT AND EGG WITHOUT THE VITAMINS - SHE GOT ENOUGH VITAMINS IN THE MORNING. Feed her as often as she'll eat throughout the rest of the day too, and make sure she's drinking PLENTY of water - we don't want to see any more blockages or sour crop smells.

You can stay with the electrolyte water with the vitamin therapy, but dropping the electrolytes during vitamin therapy is ok too. The vitamins are the essential thing we're trying to get in her.

Good that she's not on antibiotics and that her crop is emptying. Refresh me on what her diet consists of please. Also, does her beak area have any more sour smell to it?

If you feel like you're certain that her crop has emptied properly (overnight on its own), I'd transition her to a moist mash of Starter Feed, some Fried Egg Yolk and Yogurt mixed together with ONE of the following for the next 2-4 days:

- few drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench OR
- a few drops of Poly-Vi-Sol OR
- about a 1/16 tablet of Vitamin B-Complex crushed/pulverized

Mix this to a very moist consistency to help aid in her digestion of it until we're sure she's past crop blockages, and feed her first thing in the morning. Make sure she eats as much as you can get in her too: for a 2 to 3 week old chick, that would be maybe two to three pea-sized amounts, but the more you can get in her the better. When we make the mix, we mix only enough to feed the chick in one sitting and refrigerate the Egg and Yogurt until we need to make the next mix...

FOR DOSES/FEEDING LATER IN THE DAY, JUST USE A MOIST MIX OF THE FEED, YOGURT AND EGG WITHOUT THE VITAMINS - SHE GOT ENOUGH VITAMINS IN THE MORNING. Feed her as often as she'll eat throughout the rest of the day too, and make sure she's drinking PLENTY of water - we don't want to see any more blockages or sour crop smells.

You can stay with the electrolyte water with the vitamin therapy, but dropping the electrolytes during vitamin therapy is ok too. The vitamins are the essential thing we're trying to get in her.
she’s on purina start and grow. no more sour smell to her. will do. thank you so much.

4B4DA094-37A6-497D-BA90-AB26F3AC137F.jpeg

photo of squirt (small one with arrow) and the others for size comparison

PS: She's awfully small to be in the same brooder with some of those much larger birds - watch that carefully to make sure she's not targeted...
yeah she’s definitely a runt and possible target. she gets stepped on sometimes (I think they just don’t see her cause they’re so much taller) but they don’t seem to be pecking her yet thankfully.

yeah she’s definitely a runt and possible target. she gets stepped on sometimes (I think they just don’t see her cause they’re so much taller) but they don’t seem to be pecking her yet thankfully.
That's good, and they shouldn't. I don't believe that it's a natural tendency of birds to peck and hurt other birds, but I know for a FACT that they can learn it from watching others, just like they learn where to eat, drink, get treats, etc.
Keep a close eye on her, and removed the bully (or her) at the first signs of trouble since she might not survive an attack from those much larger than her.

You're doing a great job with her, and I hope she continues to improve! :)

That's good, and they shouldn't. I don't believe that it's a natural tendency of birds to peck and hurt other birds, but I know for a FACT that they can learn it from watching others, just like they learn where to eat, drink, get treats, etc.
Keep a close eye on her, and removed the bully (or her) at the first signs of trouble since she might not survive an attack from those much larger than her.

You're doing a great job with her, and I hope she continues to improve! :)
thank you! wouldn’t have known what to do without all the advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom