Older chick with curled toes.

Varglet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Fossil, OR
Picked up some chicks from a feed store yesterday. The standard size chicks were already 2-3 weeks old, and it seems the only Barred Rock they had left has curled toes (she was free because of this). I was wondering if it is still possible to correct this? I couldn't even tell she had curled toes in the bin, when we were trying to catch her, so she'll probably do fine if it can't be corrected. But if it can I would like to do so.

Please note: I know HOW to fix the issue, with much younger chicks. I just don't know if it'll work because she is a bit older.

Thank you! I have limited data on my phone, so I'll check back later when I have a wifi signal.

It may be too late, but I would give vitamins and minerals (such as Poultry Cell with riboflavin and trace minerals) and try hard with shoes. In my limited experience with crooked toes, I haven't had much luck if it was not noticed in the first week. But I had a speckled Sussex chick with slight curled toes whose turned out and up like the chick in the picture, but much later on. She lived okay and roosted on 3 inch wide boards, and it didn't seem to hurt much. She just couldn't escape a predator, pobably a raccoon or neighbor dog when she was 3 years old.

It may be too late, but I would give vitamins and minerals (such as Poultry Cell with riboflavin and trace minerals) and try hard with shoes. In my limited experience with crooked toes, I haven't had much luck if it was not noticed in the first week. But I had a speckled Sussex chick with slight curled toes whose turned out and up like the chick in the picture, but much later on. She lived okay and roosted on 3 inch wide boards, and it didn't seem to hurt much. She just couldn't escape a predator, pobably a raccoon or neighbor dog when she was 3 years old.

Thank you for the reply!

I have no way to get any vitamins or minerals right now. No money, and it's at least 90 miles to the closest store that would have any. Only thing I can try right now is shoes. Just didn't want to stress the chick out with them if it wouldn't do any good.

Here's her standing (ignore the pasty butt on the bantam, I took care of it):

She looks a little like she may have a riboflavin deficiency which causes curled under toes and sitting or walking on hocks. Many foods that we can feed to our chickens such as a small amount of plain yogurt or cottage cheese, beef liver, seeds, spinach, and egg will contain many of the B vitamins needed to help in foot problems. If you have human B Complex, baby vitamins, or nutritional yeast, those are also packed with B vitamins, and can be crushed into feed. PolyVisol 2 drops daily works. Of course chick feed is best to make up 90% of their diet.

Top 10 Vitamin B2 Rich Foods
  • 1) Beef liver. 3 oz: 2.9 mg (over 100% DV)
  • 2) Lamb. 3 oz: 3.9 mg (over 100% DV)
  • 3) Milk. 1 cup: 0.45 mg (26% DV)
  • 4) Natural yogurt. 1 cup: 0.57 (34% DV)
  • 5) Mushrooms. ½ cup: 0.23 mg (14% DV)
  • 6) Spinach. ½ c: 0.21 mg (12% DV)
  • 7) Almonds. 1 oz: 0.323 mg (19% DV)
  • 8) Sun-dried tomatoes.

[COLOR=222222]
She looks a little like she may have a riboflavin deficiency which causes curled under toes and sitting or walking on hocks. Many foods that we can feed to our chickens such as a small amount of plain yogurt or cottage cheese, beef liver, seeds, spinach, and egg will contain many of the B vitamins needed to help in foot problems. If you have human B Complex, baby vitamins, or nutritional yeast, those are also packed with B vitamins, and can be crushed into feed. PolyVisol 2 drops daily works. Of course chick feed is best to make up 90% of their diet.

Top 10 Vitamin B2 Rich Foods
[COLOR=222222]
  • 1) Beef liver. 3 oz: 2.9 mg (over 100% DV)
  • 2) Lamb. 3 oz: 3.9 mg (over 100% DV)
  • 3) Milk. 1 cup: 0.45 mg (26% DV)
  • 4) Natural yogurt. 1 cup: 0.57 (34% DV)
  • 5) Mushrooms. ½ cup: 0.23 mg (14% DV)
  • 6) Spinach. ½ c: 0.21 mg (12% DV)
  • 7) Almonds. 1 oz: 0.323 mg (19% DV)
  • 8) Sun-dried tomatoes.
[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
I believe I may have some B complex vitamins that I got a while back for some ducks I was hatching out for someone, in case they developed a deficiency before they were picked up after hatching.

Back
Top Bottom