Older chick with swelled bottom

copper2

Songster
May 5, 2015
Eating a burger
Hi, I'm new, I recently got a chick with a leg deformity, it's bottom is now swelled and had a red loop thing coming out. Is this blowout? If not can anyone tell me what it is?thanks

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you have a poorly chick :hugs A picture would really help other members to help you and your chick. It does sound like it could have some kind of prolapse.
Please do post in the emergencies section of the forum > https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Give as much detail as you can on the chick so others can help.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chick :fl

can anyone tell me what this is?

My first thoughts looking at your chick would be mushy chick disease (omphilitis) as your chicks leg is very deformed in its leg I am presuming it can't stand? If it can't stand the open navel from hatch will have been exposed to the brooder floor and it's so easy to get infection in there.

Unless you can keep that area of the chick exceptionly clean and the brooder too the infection could kill the chick. Mushy chick can be deadly even for chicks that can stand. For me personally I would cull this chick if it were mine, not being able to stand is going to make the job of keeping things clean really hard. I am quite sure this is not want you want to hear but for sake of the chick I would cull.

I'm sorry about your chick :hugs

Back
Top Bottom