Older Chicks crying ALOT

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabrielle1976, Jan 11, 2013.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont know what to do with eggnog snickerdoodle and gingerbread , they are crying and crying and crying and crying , They have fresh water , full food dish , light and heat , they dont have any owies and there dosnt seem to beanyting new that could be distressing them b ut they wont hush up its driveing me crazy. They are about five weeks old I think ,

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do you have a light on as a source of heat?

3. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    yes , i tried switching them to the glow brooder from binsea last night but they are scared of the dark so i switched back to the red heat lamp and they went to sleep that was yesterday today they started crying about 8 and wont hush. its almost ten now

4. Maybe they dont have enough space are maybe they want to be handled.Maybe

5. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Maybe they just want to be with you

6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    they get queit when i take them out , but i cant stay up all night playing with baby birds, my own 7 year old son is trying to sleep 8 is his bed time.

7. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I tried to get them to cuddle up with me in bed but they want to run around, i cant imagin a broody hen would let her chicks run amuck at night ether.

8. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Well, they should grow out of the crying soon. I don't really know what else you can do sorry!

9. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I ended up tucking them into my shirt and makeing them hold still for a few minutes and the passed right out. I then had to wiggle out of my shirt and wrape them up in it then lay it in the brooder.Hand raised chicks can be a pain in the bum

10. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    you have to handle it the same way u would handle it for your son or for a puppy; put them to bed at the same tijme every night, turn off the lights, put them in their box and forget about them until tomorrow. mine are in my living room, but at 20:00 i put them in their crate, turn off the light, (all the light they have is from the salon and from the brooder box of baby chicks); they twitter and cheep but eventually they go to sleep... the more they call u and u answer, the more they will call u... its called operational conditioning and has nothing to do with anything else. every time they put out a distress call, u answer, so they get reinforced...

turn on the tv or put on some music or a fan and dont listen, if u know they have water, food and the temp is good for them. as of this minute, mine are slowly falling asleep and cheeping a nd twittering less... countdown.... twitter twitter, cheep twitter twit twi tw tt.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by