Older girls not laying

Charliecosmic

Hatching
Nov 7, 2021
The four hens we bought as chicks in April ‘21 all stopped laying a few weeks ago. We introduced nine younger hens this spring and everyone seems to mix well…the older ones are definitely top of the order.

I’d think that after only 2.5 years they’d still be laying. Odd thing is all four stopped around same time. Only difference was a change in pellets. I switched back today but am wondering if others have any insight.

Thanks!

Chris F.

The four hens we bought as chicks in April ‘21 all stopped laying a few weeks ago. We introduced nine younger hens this spring and everyone seems to mix well…the older ones are definitely top of the order.

I’d think that after only 2.5 years they’d still be laying. Odd thing is all four stopped around same time. Only difference was a change in pellets. I switched back today but am wondering if others have any insight.

Thanks!

Chris F.
Has there been any changes in the weather? And what breed are your older hens?

I’ve had hens stop laying for a week or so due to weather changes. I’ve also had them stop temporarily while I introduced new birds to the flock.

If your older birds are heading into their 2nd or 3rd molt, they'll likely slow down or stop laying for some time. Additionally, if you live somewhere that daylight hours are falling below 14hrs/day (I'm getting 12.5 in Michigan) this could also be a factor.

If your older birds are heading into their 2nd or 3rd molt, they'll likely slow down or stop laying for some time. Additionally, if you live somewhere that daylight hours are falling below 14hrs/day (I'm getting 12.5 in Michigan) this could also be a factor.
Yep, molting time.

It's not so much how many hours of daylight as the fact that the days are shortening exponentially, they can detect that change much better than most humans.
Molting can start as early as August, while some may wait until November/December.

Back
Top Bottom