Older Hen - Difficulty Breathing - No Obvious Signs of Illness. Ideas?

HoopyFrood

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Maine, USA
My Coop
My Coop
We have a six year old barred rock that a few days ago became fairly sedentary, and obviously is working (employing effort) to breath. Her whole body moves as any chicken's does when breathing, but the movement is much more pronounced.

She seems healthy otherwise. Comb and waddles look great. Very alert with bright eyes (when she's not sleeping). No history of illness or significant injury. She eats, drinks, and poops as normal. She can vocalize as normal, but has become reluctant to "talk" unless there's something to make her vocalize (whereas before she'd offer "commentary" all the time). Her posture is poised and perfectly normal (no drooping or saggy tail). She can roost just fine and moves around just find. Even scratches occasionally, though no where near as much as normal.

She naps almost constantly, usually in a 'secure' area. Her breathing sounds impaired. Not a gurgle, but audible with a "stop" that sounds mucus-y. Her actions seem commensurate with trying to limit the need to breath heavily. It's possible she got something in her trachea (I think that's called "aspiration" of debris?). She does have a history of trying to eat things she shouldn't (from broken glass to wood chips!). But most of those incidents were when she was much younger. I did add wood chips to parts of their yard a couple weeks ago. But one of her runs was entirely covered in chips for a couple years; that was when she ran into trouble with them. She seemed to learn her lessons at the time...

She's vaccinated for Marek's. No known parasite issues. The rest of the flock is perfectly normal. We maintain a tidy yard (re: pathogens/parasites). We dewormed the flock about three months ago. Her crop isn't impacted (per eating/pooping above). Her abdomen doesn't palpate either hard or squishy, just "normalish" as far as I can tell (comparing to other flock members). She has put on some weight this past year, but nothing I'd consider overweight. Up until a few days ago here activity level was high (although not at all at the point of the rest of the flock which is five years younger). She hasn't laid eggs in at least a couple weeks, maybe a month. But she lays very infrequently (can go months without laying) most of the time anyway.

I can probably get her in for an ultrasound inspection next week. But the vet is a 90 minute drive away and she has to be by herself in their waiting area, which is much warmer than her outdoor living. And she's very obstinate and strong willed. That's a recipe for a significant amount of stress on her. She's obviously trying to avoid stress, so I don't want to put her through that unless we need to. And maybe we DO need to...

I have VetRx, but haven't applied it yet. I have my doubts it would make a significant difference on symptoms, but I'm dead certain applying it would stress her out. She's a very spoiled chicken; she doesn't like being handled when it's not on her terms. She didn't want me to palpate her abdomen and that incident had her breathing harder than I'd like to see. Of course I will handle her however needed, when it's needed. But limiting her stress at this point is important to me.

I thought I'd see if anyone on BYC might have some insight before setting down the road of more drastic intervention. Thank you for reading!

She seems healthy otherwise. Comb and waddles look great. Very alert with bright eyes (when she's not sleeping). No history of illness or significant injury. She eats, drinks, and poops as normal. She can vocalize as normal, but has become reluctant to "talk" unless there's something to make her vocalize (whereas before she'd offer "commentary" all the time). Her posture is poised and perfectly normal (no drooping or saggy tail). She can roost just fine and moves around just find. Even scratches occasionally, though no where near as much as normal.
Not sure what your goal is?
She's healthy - looks great, very alert, can roost, eat/drinks, crop empties, no lice/mite, moves around just fine, tail up, bright eyed.....

She's 6 years old. She's lounging about. Some older Gals do that. If she seems happy within herself, I personally don't see the need for any type of intervention, do you?

Not sure what your goal is?
She's healthy - looks great, very alert, can roost, eat/drinks, crop empties, no lice/mite, moves around just fine, tail up, bright eyed.....

She's 6 years old. She's lounging about. Some older Gals do that. If she seems happy within herself, I personally don't see the need for any type of intervention, do you?
Thank you for the reply! Her labored breathing is unusual (very effortful). And her energy/activity level have dropped off drastically in the past few days, while obviously her age hasn't changed significantly...

Intervention is never fun. But we've lost so many who "seemed okay" or "about to recover." There's that "happy" period in illness/injury where you think they're holding steady and can improve... and then not only do they NOT improve, they decline. It just takes a while for their bodies to succumb. In that early periods of illness/injury I'm sure there are (or at least there are the best chances of) windows where intervention CAN make a difference and halt that decline.

No guarantees, of course. Just looking to see if anyone else has dealt with this kind of a situation.

Labored breathing can be from a number of things.
At 6 years of age, I would lean more toward a reproductive disorder - Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. Fatty Liver Disease or a failing heart could be issues as well.
It's really hard to know unless there's further investigation when you lose them. A necropsy through your state lab or if you are up to it, you can do an informal one on your own. That's not easy when the hen is a pet, but it can also be informative, doing your own also lets you see with your own eyes what was going on and then you start making a connection between symptoms and cause.

For older ailing hens, of course supportive care can and should be given. Making sure they are eating/drinking, dewormed, debugged, not getting picked on, crop emptying, etc. Antibiotics may be appropriate if infection is suspected.

Labored breathing can be from a number of things.
At 6 years of age, I would lean more toward a reproductive disorder - Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. Fatty Liver Disease or a failing heart could be issues as well.
It's really hard to know unless there's further investigation when you lose them. A necropsy through your state lab or if you are up to it, you can do an informal one on your own. That's not easy when the hen is a pet, but it can also be informative, doing your own also lets you see with your own eyes what was going on and then you start making a connection between symptoms and cause.

For older ailing hens, of course supportive care can and should be given. Making sure they are eating/drinking, dewormed, debugged, not getting picked on, crop emptying, etc. Antibiotics may be appropriate if infection is suspected.
Thank you again for the reply!

Two days ago her breathing was hard enough that, after my wife could give her a close look after she got off work, we agreed to take her to the vet. That took up most of the day yesterday.

Everything you said makes sense. After her initial evaluation they did x-rays, a quick pass (not a full exploration) pass with ultrasound, and a fecal float test. No signs of fluid buildup in lungs or abdomen, no signs of tumors, no parasites but a couple three cocci per slide. She's moved several times over the years so I'm not surprised. But not a cocci load at all (nor symptoms) like you'd expect with coccidiosis.

So the vet felt it's more likely a bacterial (or viral) infection than those other causes and prescribed a course of doxycycline antibiotics and we started yesterday evening (daily doses for 10 days total).

He said improvement should be seen in 2-3 days and if there isn't any we should return for a full ultrasound to attempt to diagnose further.

So, in addition, we are going to try to support immune system function and gut biome through probiotics (Rooster Booster, fermented feed), and other holistic efforts (we offer "fire cider" that contains fresh garlic, ginger, herbs, cayenne).

Hopefully this will get things on the right track! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom