Older hen with broken leg...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky Chick Mama, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Chicky Chick Mama

Chicky Chick Mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    Hi, I have a Black Star Hen, Mi'Lady, who is an older chicken. I don't know how old because the man I bought her from lied to me...but that's a different story!! 3 days ago, my son and I noticed her flopping around and unable to stand. When we picked her up and examined the leg it was clearly broken (it wobbles around) and has a mark on it like a scrape. Not sure, but I believe one of our grouchier hens yanked her out of the nesting box and she had gotten trapped between the perch and the box. We put a splint on her leg and put her in isolation to help her relax and heal. She has sat in the nesting crate and not gotten out of it since in these 3 days.

Mi'Lady's eggs had been really bad for a while before this. Very thin shelled, crumbles on touch and sometimes shell=less. We thought it was due to stress of being with an overbearing rooster (who is now gone). But, now that she has broken her leg, what are the odds that she will ever lay again? I realize her body will put it's resources into healing that leg, but will an old chicken ever fully recover? If we put her back in the flock, is it likely that grouchy hen will continue to bully her?

Anything you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I don't think she should go back to the flock. She is at the rock bottom of the pecking order and nature demands that chickens eliminate the weak and injured in order to strengthen and better their species. She will either have to be a lone hen or garage/basement occupant. I would use coban/vet wrap or an ACE bandage to gently wrap around her body with the leg flexed up against her under carriage and kinda criss-cross it around the wings. Wrap her leg to her body. To heal, it must be stabilized and immobilized. She probably will not be able to move around very well and her available room to move should be limited to avoid further injury. High protein feed and extra calcium will aid the healing process. If you are unable to dedicate that amount of time, which will be several weeks, then you may consider euthanasia. She most likely will not lay until she is well healed. If she heals, then she has to be reintroduced to the flock all over again as if it's a brand new addition. Personally, I would euthanize her. I do wish you the best as you make the decision that is right for you and your hen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. Chicky Chick Mama

Chicky Chick Mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    Thanks, nurse_turtle. I had told my husband I thought that it was best to euthanize, but I wanted someone else to say that. I've been supplementing her laying feed with hard boiled mashed eggs and yogurt, and have not had time to get to the farm store for oyster shell, but honestly it's a lot to take care of her multiple times a day with my other responsibilities. It is already wearing very thin. And I can see that she is depressed, too. Hopefully my husband will have time to deal with her tomorrow, as I hate to make her linger on.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I think it's best. It has to suck pretty bad to be in pain and so depressed. To help me decide what to do when difficult chicken situations arise, I ask myself what would I do if it was my bestest most favoritest hen, Sally the Second. It's a tough decision even if we know it's the best one.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by