Older hen with sudden issues please help

No, she actually seems great except for being hard as a rock in the abdominal area. She doesn't even smell anymore, but she's still waddling from abdominal swelling. She doesn't move was much, of course, but she's not in pain or fevered. I'm stumped.

I had a leghorn who was about 4 years old with what I think was egg yolk peritonitis last year. Her abdomen was very big, she waddled like a penguin when she walked, had labored breathing and a messy butt. She was like this for months, so I made her a tea. Boil about 1 tablespoon of dried oregano and half a cinnamon stick in a 3/4 small saucepan of water for about 15 minutes, then scoop the cinnamon stick and leaves out. Then pour the mixture into the same quantity of water and give it to her to drink. It shrunk my hens abdomen a lot, but her abdomen would swell up again whenever I did not give it to her. When I have a sick chicken I always give them colloidal silver, garlic water or garlic chunks, dewormer, and Vetrx poultry remedy. My hen passed away though, she had the egg yolk peritonitis then got sour crop, I tried to heal her but she was to sick. I hope your hen gets better!

Thanks for the response. I'm just so unsure how to handle this.
Normally i wouldn't separate her out, but i noticed her not getting around very well and the other girls were rather shoving her away from food and water.
Not mean to her at all, just oblivious as chickens are.
Plus, i was her first "flock" lol and it was just us two for a year or more. I think she kinda likes being back inside.
She's talkative and alert.
Eating and drinking very well.
I'm not understanding what to do except keep her comfy.
At the risk of sounding heartless, I'm doing everything i humanly can do, meds, cleaning, etc.
I just don't understand how she can be so perky with a belly like a football?
Oh and there's nothing inside her that i can feel.

Well. I guess she'll either get better or pass on. Until then i just plan to keep her comfy.

Thank you to everyone who's given so much excellent advice.
I really value this site and you all.
The antibiotics may be helping with inflammation.
They can act normal and perky. She may be happier with you inside, it's possible she wasn't getting a lot to eat/drink and just being by herself with food/water has made a difference.

When I have one that has a reproductive issue, I take it one day at a time. Some days are better than others.

Back
Top Bottom