Older hens not allowing pullets to roost in coop

Rcasady

Chirping
Jan 17, 2022
Hello,
I have 3 hens & a rooster over 1 year old and 5 pullets. I did the introductions slowly with fencing between the babies and older ones. The babies moved into the main coop about 2 months ago. The older hens accept them in the run, yard and in the main coop but they are only allowed to sleep on the floor/nesting box. I'm hoping that when they start laying eggs the older ones will let them roost at night but I'm not really sure. I worry that come winter they won't snuggle together for warmth. (Snuggle may be the wrong word and our coop is warm and well built) Could the older ones never allow the young ones in the roosting posts?

Welcome to BYC! If you have adequate room, your pullets will most likely began roosting with the elders once the are laying. You need 12" of roost space per standard size chicken, and more is better. If there is more than one roost bar, they need around 16 to 18" between bars and about 18" from the wall.

Hello,
I have 3 hens & a rooster over 1 year old and 5 pullets. I did the introductions slowly with fencing between the babies and older ones. The babies moved into the main coop about 2 months ago. The older hens accept them in the run, yard and in the main coop but they are only allowed to sleep on the floor/nesting box. I'm hoping that when they start laying eggs the older ones will let them roost at night but I'm not really sure. I worry that come winter they won't snuggle together for warmth. (Snuggle may be the wrong word and our coop is warm and well built) Could the older ones never allow the young ones in the roosting posts?
Hens are horrid.:p
I take it these pullets didn't have a mother to introduce them to the tribe (?)
I also assume the pullets are fully feathered if they moved in two months ago.
If your rooster and hens are fine in the coop then the pullets wil be to.
I wouldn't worry about where they sleep. If there is enough space for them on the roost bars then they'll roost on them when they are older.

Hello,
Welcome to BYC!! I agree with janiedoe. :)

Welcome to BYC! If you have adequate room, your pullets will most likely began roosting with the elders once the are laying. You need 12" of roost space per standard size chicken, and more is better. If there is more than one roost bar, they need around 16 to 18" between bars and about 18" from the wall.
Yes I have enough room for them. I had other hens that we have lost. The coop can hold (comfortably 12 birds) it remains warm, dry and I clean it twice a week. I put fresh herbs and flowers in the nesting box for happy eggs. It just seemed odd that this much time had passed and the pullets still sleep on the floor. I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for all the input. I really enjoy the info on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom