Older Rhode Islands?

There's a good chance that "2-4 years" is leaning more towards the "4 years" and the seller is trying to sell birds that don't lay much anymore, and are costing more in feed than they produce.

They might make enjoyable pets, and you will probably still get some eggs, but it's unlikely that someone's selling off productive layers, esp. for $5 each.

Additionally, if you start chicks in the spring, you'll have to house them separately until they can be introduced into your flock of adult hens. If you wait til spring and start with chicks, you can put that task off until the following year.

"...I just think it should be done in full knowledge of the ramifications."

Patandchickens, I fully agree with all you've said in your post, and appreciate the caution you give about diseases that aren't obviously apparent. And as you went on to discuss, "chicken science" is not perfected, so probably many backyard flocks are not as free of problems as we hope we all might be. And that is why in my post, I did include "observation skill" among the points to consider when starting a new flock with older birds. A chicken owner must watch his/her flock with an eye nearly as sharp as that of the hawk that would decimate our flocks--in our effort to grow and protect our flocks. This is a good discussion:) Thanks for all the thoughtful points to consider. ~G

Thanks all. I appreciate all the time you took in posting. Thinking it through some more, we are going to buy some younger pullets from this year. We are hoping to hatch some of their eggs and in the spring maybe have some new chicks.

It';s all very exciting, we are setting up the coop next weekend and picking up some birds the week after that. Looks like we will be getting two easter egg hens, a EE rooster, and possibly some RIR pullets. They are all from the same farm so seem to already get along. As for health concerns, I am trying to keep myself as informed as I can with what to look for in terms of disease. Is it dangerous to get chickens from two separate farms? I don't want to put any of them at risk.

When I got started I bought from a number of different places and had no problems. But I did not know any better. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. I am sure that it would be wise to not mix flocks until you have quarunteened them for some time. I have no idea how to spell that word. You will likely be happy you went with the pullets.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom