older what is it

Quote:
See, I thought that an EE was a mutt in which case it could have any combinations of features? I just get so confused, everytime i think ive learned something someone throws a wrench in there and IM back at square one! LOL

Quote:
See, I thought that an EE was a mutt in which case it could have any combinations of features? I just get so confused, everytime i think ive learned something someone throws a wrench in there and IM back at square one! LOL

EE's aren't just any mixed chicken, I believe an EE should be part Ameraucana or aracuana. They are called mutts because they don't breed true. When you breed barred rocks, you know you will end up with a barred rock chick and you know what it will look like when it grows up. If you breed your EEs, you will probably still get an EE, but you will have no idea what it will like like.

Easter eggers usually have the beards and/or muffs, lay colored eggs (hence the name EE), have short pea combs (some wide, some narrow), and can have green or slate legs. They can sometimes be clean-faced or lay a brown egg, but I've never seen one with that type of comb. Besides having a large comb, that rooster doesn't have any beard or muff either - it doesn't have any signs of being an EE. Take a look at the rooster in pic #1 - it has the pea comb, the fluffy face, and a greenish tint to his legs - obviously an EE.

Here's a link that shows pictures of Ameraucanas:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAmer.html

Here's a link that shows easter egger chickens:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKEaster.html

The easter eggers have a lot of the same traits as the ameraucanas do, but they don't have specific colors to them. When you breed wheaten ameraucanas, you should get wheaten ameraucana chicks. Can't predict when you breed easter eggers.

edited to add the above links.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my partridge colored EE roo. He did not have the beard and muff but his legs were definitely green although they don't look too green in this pic, they looked more green in lower light, when this pic was taken he was standing in very bright sunlight. Different kind of comb too.

EEroo.jpg

Last edited:
My rooster's coloring is very similar with the red and black, his tail feathers have a lot of green, but he has gray legs and a large single comb. He's tall and his breast muscles are very well developed. And he is very sure of himself. Does that help with determining breed?
big_smile.png

I'm not an expert in too many breeds for sure, I basically just know about the ones I have. I know that many breeds have partridge coloring but I couldn't tell you which specifically or which of those have single combs. Maybe someone with a broader experience with breeds could chime in with some better ideas. I looked around at some of the hatcheries and couldn't find a partridge colored bird with clean grey legs but you could browse through http://www.feathersite.com/ and see what you can find. They have an amazing bank of pictures of the different breeds!

Back
Top Bottom