Olive Egger Gender Guess

kirkyanne

Songster
5 Years
Mar 5, 2017
Australia
Hello I have 4 olive Egger chicks and one silkie. Anyone want to have a guess of gender? I keep changing my mind. They are currently 5 and a half weeks, so possibly too early to tell.

Olive Egger 1) IMG_20191011_170407.jpg

Olive Egger 2) IMG_20191011_170343.jpg

Olive Egger 3) IMG_20191011_170316.jpg

Olive Egger 4) IMG_20191011_170218.jpg

Silkie)
IMG_20191011_170129.jpg

The OE look female, except the first one has a larger/wider comb that is pinking up already. Can’t say it’s male yet, and I’ve seen some female chicks pink up a bit early. since OE are a mix, you can’t compare to a particular breed. However, By 12 weeks saddle feathers become apparent on males.

I do t have any experience with silkies.

Its likely that the first olive egger is a cockerel. A few more weeks will solidify that.

The silkie is also a cockerel, since that comb is HUGE for a 5 week old.
That's what I am thinking too. The white OE has really thick legs and could swear it was a boy. But the first OE's comb suddenly got bigger and pink over last few days. Whereas that one still seems small. Apparently Olive eggers are tricky to tell like silkies. Plus because different breeds they have different combs etc like you say.

The OE look female, except the first one has a larger/wider comb that is pinking up already. Can’t say it’s male yet, and I’ve seen some female chicks pink up a bit early. since OE are a mix, you can’t compare to a particular breed. However, By 12 weeks saddle feathers become apparent on males.

I do t have any experience with silkies.
Thanks for your response. Yes it seemed to grow and get pink over last couple days so my thoughts on being a girl changed. It was developing same as others until that point.

Back
Top Bottom