Olive egger gender?

BeaLee

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
Just got this baby, woman I got her from said she was quite sure she’s a pullet but you never know. None of my others have a comb like this so wanted to ask opinions, she’s an olive egger 🙂 very sweet so far, I think about 5-6 weeks old, well feathered, skinny legs, comb is still pale just larger lol
IMG_8306.jpeg
IMG_8307.jpeg
IMG_8297.jpeg
IMG_8304.jpeg

Last edited:
The comb does look large, but the coloring suggests a pullet. I think it's just going to take more time to be sure in this case. Keep an eye on the comb for rapid development in size and color. If that happens before 12 weeks or so, then it is probably a cockerel.

The comb does look large, but the coloring suggests a pullet. I think it's just going to take more time to be sure in this case. Keep an eye on the comb for rapid development in size and color. If that happens before 12 weeks or so, then it is probably a cockerel.
Good to know! I saw some posts saying the 3 rows on the comb can more often mean male so I got a little worried. Everything else with her points to female to me but I wasn’t sure, I’ll have to see once she’s older!

I'd say pullet. Then again all my cockerels showed they were boys at 3-4 weeks- olive egger, EE, and Black Australorps (single comb) we had an EE start attempting to crow at 6 weeks.

Eta: yes the comb is big but still pale as someone suggested. All ours turned red quick

I'd say pullet. Then again all my cockerels showed they were boys at 3-4 weeks- olive egger, EE, and Black Australorps (single comb) we had an EE start attempting to crow at 6 weeks.

Eta: yes the comb is big but still pale as someone suggested. All ours turned red quick
I have 7 others who are the same age that I’m fairly positive are all ladies, this one is the only one I can see some little wattles on but she’s also my only olive egger so I don’t have anything to compare her to. They’re at least all still pale so I’m hoping 🤞🏻

Some updated pictures, comb is getting a bit red so I’m getting a little nervous 😂

Attachments

• IMG_8730.jpeg
    IMG_8730.jpeg
    842 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8729.jpeg
    IMG_8729.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8727.jpeg
    IMG_8727.jpeg
    735.7 KB · Views: 8
Well it seems sometimes its comb is much less red compared to other times, possibly from the heat here? But it’s not getting these dark rust colored spots on its body. Feeling like it’s really leaning towards roo now 😅
IMG_9124.jpeg
IMG_8996.jpeg
IMG_8995.jpeg
IMG_9097.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom