Olive Egger genes

My Roo’s mother was an Oliver egger. His father a Marans......he was hatched from an olive egg. The two pullets I have have the same parentage.
So he is also an F2, increasing the chances of getting brown eggs, but also creating the gorgeous dark olive color. Interesting he has a pea comb. Could have a blue egg gene in him still. No way of knowing what they will produce for sure, but odds are greater that you will get dark brown eggs from the cross.:)
Do you have a photo of him you would like to share?

That helps. I'm going to use symbols to try to explain it plus that helps me keep my thoughts straight. Capital "O" is the genetic symbol for the dominant blue egg gene. Small "o" is the recessive not-blue gene.

Their father, the Marans, is o,o, no blue egg gene. Since the mother laid an olive egg and one of the pullets lays a brown egg, the mother was O,o, only one blue egg gene.

That means the pullet laying the brown egg is o,o, no blue egg gene. The rooster and the other pullet could also both be o,o, maybe both are O,o, or maybe one is O,o and the other o,o.

If he is o,o and you cross him with the brown egg laying pullet you get brown eggs. If he is O,o and you cross him with that brown egg laying pullet about half the eggs should be brown and half green.

If the other pullet lays a brown egg she is o,o and you get the same thing depending on what he has.

If the other pullet lays a green egg she is O,o and he is o,o you get half and half. If the rooster is O,o then a cross with the green egg laying pullet should get you 3/4 green eggs and 1/4 brown eggs.

So what does all this mean? If that second pullet lays a green egg and you hatch enough eggs you will get some green egg-laying pullets no matter what rooster you use. If her eggs are brown you might or might not get any green egg layers from crossing her to that rooster.

That helps. I'm going to use symbols to try to explain it plus that helps me keep my thoughts straight. Capital "O" is the genetic symbol for the dominant blue egg gene. Small "o" is the recessive not-blue gene.

Their father, the Marans, is o,o, no blue egg gene. Since the mother laid an olive egg and one of the pullets lays a brown egg, the mother was O,o, only one blue egg gene.

That means the pullet laying the brown egg is o,o, no blue egg gene. The rooster and the other pullet could also both be o,o, maybe both are O,o, or maybe one is O,o and the other o,o.

If he is o,o and you cross him with the brown egg laying pullet you get brown eggs. If he is O,o and you cross him with that brown egg laying pullet about half the eggs should be brown and half green.

If the other pullet lays a brown egg she is o,o and you get the same thing depending on what he has.

If the other pullet lays a green egg she is O,o and he is o,o you get half and half. If the rooster is O,o then a cross with the green egg laying pullet should get you 3/4 green eggs and 1/4 brown eggs.

So what does all this mean? If that second pullet lays a green egg and you hatch enough eggs you will get some green egg-laying pullets no matter what rooster you use. If her eggs are brown you might or might not get any green egg layers from crossing her to that rooster.
Thank you!! I had read about the the blue egg gene being close to the peacomb gene. Both of my pullets are straight combed, that’s why I figured they were both probably going to lay brown eggs. 😏 We will see! 😊 I did have an EE lay her first egg today while Inwas waiting on responses. And it’s a pretty green color! Here are my collected eggs over the last week 😍 They are still small, but I’m sooooo happy about them!

Attachments

• C56F66CE-A700-4BAE-8B2E-D7D77EF89520.jpeg
    C56F66CE-A700-4BAE-8B2E-D7D77EF89520.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 5E27042C-21A7-4039-81A7-8341C2F595E1.jpeg
    5E27042C-21A7-4039-81A7-8341C2F595E1.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 9
So he is also an F2, increasing the chances of getting brown eggs, but also creating the gorgeous dark olive color. Interesting he has a pea comb. Could have a blue egg gene in him still. No way of knowing what they will produce for sure, but odds are greater that you will get dark brown eggs from the cross.:)
Do you have a photo of him you would like to share?
I’m guessing on the pea comb, it’s big instead of small like other pea combs I’ve seen. has the three rows, so definitely not a straight comb. Here’s a picture.

Attachments

• 589F07B9-5FFE-48BD-9B9C-75B16F044100.jpeg
    589F07B9-5FFE-48BD-9B9C-75B16F044100.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 9
I’m guessing on the pea comb, it’s big instead of small like other pea combs I’ve seen. has the three rows, so definitely not a straight comb. Here’s a picture.
He a pretty boy, can see the marans in him. Not really a peacomb. More single appearing.
My marans/ameraucana cross F1 OE hen has kind of a funky combo comb as well.:)
If you decide to pursue your F2 crosses, please post photos of the chicks. Would be very interesting to follow.:)

He a pretty boy, can see the marans in him. Not really a peacomb. More single appearing.
My marans/ameraucana cross F1 OE hen has kind of a funky combo comb as well.:)
If you decide to pursue your F2 crosses, please post photos of the chicks. Would be very interesting to follow.:)
He definitely has the three ridges, with the one in the center being higher than the outside ridges. Lol it’s giant though! His comb started developing super early, He was the first one I knew for sure was a rooster. I will definitely post pictures if I decide to hatch chicks.

The pea comb is partially dominant. That means if both genes at that gene pair are pea you get a true pea comb. But if only one of those two genes is the pea comb gene you get what I call a funky pea comb. You can see the influence of the pea comb but it can be pretty funky looking. Looks like that is what you have.

That means if you cross him with hens that have a single comb, about half his offspring will have a single comb while the others have some kind of funky pea. They may not be that dramatic but you will see the influence of the pea gene.

The pea comb is partially dominant. That means if both genes at that gene pair are pea you get a true pea comb. But if only one of those two genes is the pea comb gene you get what I call a funky pea comb. You can see the influence of the pea comb but it can be pretty funky looking. Looks like that is what you have.

That means if you cross him with hens that have a single comb, about half his offspring will have a single comb while the others have some kind of funky pea. They may not be that dramatic but you will see the influence of the pea gene.
This is all very interesting to me. Lol confusing sometimes, but interesting! Looking forward to hatching some little chickies and recording my outcomes!

Back
Top Bottom