Olive Oil during cold winter?

Fat liver comes mainly from excess carbs, or from polyunsaturated (oxidized) fats. Oilve oil has no carbs and little in the way of poly. fats. but getting fat trimmings from a butcher is still best. specially beef, that is all solid sat. fat.

I’m in New Hampshire so while we definitely have cold snaps in the single digits we rarely see the nagatives
In that case, no i do not think you should feed extra fats, or extra scratch (except for small amounts of scratch as a boredom buster).

It is easier on your hens if they have 10 hours of light to eat.

I do think once one is steady in the negatives for extended periods, feeding fats is helpful.

However, feeding fats at warmer temps is likely to lead to overly fat chickens.

In that case, no i do not think you should feed extra fats, or extra scratch (except for small amounts of scratch as a boredom buster).

It is easier on your hens if they have 10 hours of light to eat.

I do think once one is steady in the negatives for extended periods, feeding fats is helpful.

However, feeding fats at warmer temps is likely to lead to overly fat chickens.
Noted :) thanks so much!

NH isn't all that cold, relatively speaking. They'll get the extra calories they need by eating more of their feed, they don't need extras. Chicken feed consumption goes up in the colder months to help them stay warm. So just make sure they have their regular feed available at all times.

Back
Top Bottom