Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Roo

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

ksrchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Hi Everyone. This is my eight week old olive egger. He/she is the only OE that I have so no others to compare to. I am really hoping for olive eggs. He/she is shy so I did my best to get some detailed photos. He/she is a cross b/w a Black Copper Marans and an Ameraucana. All black feathers with lightly feathered feet. Thanks for your opinions!!

well you got to think it is hard to tell... I forgot the easy way to tell if its a male or female. something to do with the hen has more feathers around the eyes or something like that

I am thinking she is an Olivia but the red comb is what is throwing me off too. I have never even seen another olive egger as a point of comparison. I have a Blue Ameraucana that is a month older than Olivia and definitely a roo and his comb is lighter. I don't know how the Marans side would impact the OE though as Olivia definitely looks more like a Black Copper Marans that the Ameraucanas to me.

I am thinking she is an Olivia but the red comb is what is throwing me off too. I have never even seen another olive egger as a point of comparison. I have a Blue Ameraucana that is a month older than Olivia and definitely a roo and his comb is lighter. I don't know how the Marans side would impact the OE though as Olivia definitely looks more like a Black Copper Marans that the Ameraucanas to me.
same here

I agree with those who say this looks female but the comb is throwing us off.. If asked to choose one, would say female.

There is too much of an obsession with looking at combs only for sexing. Need to look at rest of the bird also. You can start parting the feathers on back, saddle and neck area for pin feathers and look at the shape of the new feathers emerging from them. Rounded tips, same flat color as what the bir currently has- female. Sharp pointy tips, much shinier and also with 'fringe' look to the edges away from the tips-male.

I agree with those who say this looks female but the comb is throwing us off.. If asked to choose one, would say female.

There is too much of an obsession with looking at combs only for sexing. Need to look at rest of the bird also. You can start parting the feathers on back, saddle and neck area for pin feathers and look at the shape of the new feathers emerging from them. Rounded tips, same flat color as what the bir currently has- female. Sharp pointy tips, much shinier and also with 'fringe' look to the edges away from the tips-male.
totally agree

Back
Top Bottom