Olivia or Oliver??

Is my olive egger a pullet or roo?

• Pullet

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Roo

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
I agree with those who say this looks female but the comb is throwing us off..    If asked to choose one, would say female.

There is too much of an obsession with looking at combs only for sexing.  Need to look at rest of the bird also. You can start parting the feathers on back, saddle and neck area for pin feathers and look at the shape of the new feathers emerging from them.  Rounded tips, same flat color as what the bir currently has- female.  Sharp pointy tips, much shinier and also with 'fringe' look to the edges away from the tips-male.
when seeing easter Eggers (or any pea comb really) if it's red around 6-8 weeks and bulging, you have a cockerel. That's really the only way you can tell with solid easter Eggers at this age. You won't see sickle or saddle feathers for a long time.

If they are patterened, red, white or black splotches on the chest indicate cockerel. Red splotches on the wings are cockerels.

Even patterning (not splotchy) or salmon on the beast indicate a pullet.

when seeing easter Eggers (or any pea comb really) if it's red around 6-8 weeks and bulging, you have a cockerel. That's really the only way you can tell with solid easter Eggers at this age. You won't see sickle or saddle feathers for a long time.

If they are patterened, red, white or black splotches on the chest indicate cockerel. Red splotches on the wings are cockerels.

I disagree because when I had an eight week old egger, her comb was the same as this however it was a she. well I hope because it laid eggs. but the comb has nothing to do with gender. for example the buff Minorca hen and male have the same comb.

I disagree because when I had an eight week old egger, her comb was the same as this however it was a she. well I hope because it laid eggs. but the comb has nothing to do with gender. for example the buff Minorca hen and male have the same comb.
Minorca don't have pea combs. Do you have pictures of your pullet when she was 8 weeks old?

I agree with the last two paragraphs however they are useless in this case.

Again, people get too obsessed about looking at combs only. Rooster type feathers can and do start to show up around this time, just well hidden on well feathered birds like this.

I did but when I transferred phones I lost it.
bummer.
Here are some 13 week old pullets, for comparison.

And here are two of my POL pullets.
17 weeks pea comb.
16 weeks, single comb but helps show color, she's more red than the older pullet.

Bird in OP is a cockerel.

Last edited:
I agree with the last two paragraphs however they are useless in this case.

Again, people get too obsessed about looking at combs only. Rooster type feathers can and do start to show up around this time, just well hidden on well feathered birds like this.
agreed

Thanks all for your advice. Since the jury is split, I will update this post in another few weeks with more pictures and hopefully Olivia will reveal herself :)!

Back
Top Bottom