OMG!!!! A Skunk!!!

amysue2012

Songster
12 Years
Oct 6, 2007
Montpelier Ohio
I just saw a skunk out in the pasture with the goats, they were going over to check it out... I dont know what to do about it.

We had one last spring that we saw out in the field, my husband got he gun and with one shot got it...thankfully it didnt spray!

Of course tonight my husband is a work and Im not a very good shot...I really hope that thing doesnt head for the chicken coop.
barnie.gif

My neighborhood has an ongoing skunk problem. We had two that made rounds, each on his (or her) own schedule every night. I think Mr. 9:00 was hit by a car but Mr. 1:00(am) is still coming by. They apparently don't necessarily have to be spooked to spray because he does it on a regular basis.
sickbyc.gif
I have kindly neighbors who leave food out all the time for stray cats. Of course, the black kitties with the pretty white stripes get to share the buffet.
roll.png

We have a neighborhood skunk named Stella.

I actually like having her around. Although the dog got sprayed last year.
roll.png
Heard him barking. Thought "skunk" Didnt get him in in time.
sickbyc.gif

But I have to admit I am hoping the dead one the next street over is our Stella.

Quote:
My idiot neighbor feeds the stinking things. He set out a huge plate of cat food for them every night and lets them live and mate in his barn.

Now I have 2 in my barn this year and I'm not sure how to get them out with out a huge stinking mess.

Quote:
Just a wild thought. You might scatter mothballs and see if it works.

Many,many years ago, after a skunk sprayed under his porch, may neighbor, his sons, and my younger brothers who were still at home declared war on skunks. Killed 56 that summer. Thinned them out for a while, but they repopulated.

Quote:
Just a wild thought. You might scatter mothballs and see if it works.

5 large Boxes so far, on still nights I can smell the moth balls from the house 200 feet a way.... I think it just makes then horney b/c last night they were either fighting or mating .. not sure.... man I hate skunks!!!!

We used to have a 'stinky kitty' that lived underneath our cabin... occasionally we'd wake up with a slimy skunk bomb on our tongues.... Horrible taste. (if you are too close to a big spray, you can literally taste it for like days). One time the s.k. sprayed the side of my car (parked at night with windows open), left a greasy stain, and the inside stank for weeks.

As for removal, put a havahart cage underneath a tarp, like a little cave, with one open end, if the skunk is enclosed, it will not spray. They don't like to dirty themselves, and don't like to spray if they can't raise their tails real high.

I grew up in a homestead family and milked 2-4 cows by hand every morning, every night. The only time I remember not milking before school was the one day there was a skunk asleep in the milking barn grain crib. My dad went in to get the feed, stood up silently, backed out slowly, and said, "Just go feed the pigs and chickens, kids. I'll come back later to milk."

Back
Top Bottom