OMG..cleaning chick butts!! eww...anyone else?

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
I must REALLY love my chicks-I have 2 chicks-3 days old-they were RIR crossed with buff Orpingtons-pretty little things-I have to say thank you to the post who told me to soak the chicks butts to soften the pooh to get it off--Ill one up you though..not only did I have to soak their little butts-they actually shut their eyes and fell asleep while I held their butts in the warm water-I Q-tip cleaned them and I bought a small pair of fly tying scissors ( blunt ended) and gave them hair cuts around their bums! hopefully their problem is solved!!! Everday I've had to Q-tip their butts!! bleah--and I even had to use my finger to pull gently peices that the qtip just couldnt get off--look at my baby's with wet bums!!! These are my first two chicks ever-a freind incubated my eggs for me and these were the only ones that hatched!!! My new bator is running and awaiting a delivery of eggs Tuesday mixed with some of mine from the same parents that I got these from! yeahhh
wee.gif
:D
roll.png
tongue.png

Last edited:
I've had to clean bums 4 times now having 18 in the brooder for 3 days. I test the water out of the kitchen faucet and make sure its warm but not hot. I run the water on the bum for 30 seconds or so and use my fingernails to break the poo loose. Minor complaining from the chicks.
Ten minutes later its all forgotten by them
wink.png

I also had problems with my pasty butts q-tips, and warm water cleaned them up nicely. I stopped giving them sugar water after day 2 and thay no longer have this problem.

A little vaseline on the feathers around their bum will keep it from happening again. I hate doing that to the poor little dudes, they look so pathetic LOL

***sigh*** i been cleaning pasty butts for two days now, crushed up a half a boiled egg in there feed, WON'T be doing that again !!...I also posted about this as well, the warm water scrap off the poo and a little oil seems to be helping
jumpy.gif

I look at it this way. We have to clean our baby's bottoms when they go poo. Animals clean thier own babies as well. So its only going to be expected of us to do the same to our animal babies. If your going to be a mommy to them you have to do the motherly duties
big_smile.png

Its not fun but lol it has to be done. I never enjoyed cleaning any bottoms. Counting my own XD

Oh my friends, it is only the beginning of your Life with Poo. You will all become poo experts, able to identify individual chickens by poo smell and sight from 3 miles away.

OK maybe not, but you WILL end up watching their poo every day to keep track of their general health. It's inevitable. You will also get it on your clothes and/or hands and/or hair, etc. etc. eventually. *sigh*

I am only here typing away because my jacket is in the washing machine. Again.

Anyhoo, you might keep an eye on brooder temperatures if the pasty problem lingers. Too-hot or too-cold incubators can contribute to this problem. Good luck!
smile.png

I've been giving some warm baths in the last couple of weeks with my 50+ chicks. Mine seem to enjoy it. I also did a little cutting around the bums to help the situation - it seems to have worked - all the butts are looking better!

Back
Top Bottom