1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG! Fighting Hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luckitri, Nov 17, 2008.

1. luckitri

luckitri Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    This girl simply does not back down. The feed store said she was an Americauna but my reading says she is an Easter Egger. I haven't seen anything to say they are aggressive but this hen sure is.

She wanted to pick the ants off my best dog ever's bone a few weeks ago and they got into it.

Every evening I give the dogs a meaty bone. Usually the hens have been put to roost by then (locked in their pen so the owl can't get them). (Which by the way I am thinking that the owl is getting up in the day and getting her eggs when she lays them?)
    (She has started laying in the coop for the first time so I can get the eggs instead of the owl.)

Anyways, tonight the dogs got their meaty bone before the hens were put up for the night. No biggie, it has happened plenty of times before. But Henrietta kept clucking around my old man dog. She wanted his bone. She did not get in his face but she wouldn't back down either. He is so old that normally he reacts to very little but she managed to get on his last nerve and he lost it. But as he was blindly snapping at her she kept flapping her wings and pecking at him!

My best dog ever came to the rescue and got between old man dog and Henrietta and forced them to calm down. She did not take his bone for herself. So he was left with his bone but after everything was all settled down Henrietta came back a few times for the last word! She came back a pecking and a poking and flapping of the wings like to make herself the winner even though she wasn't!

Old man lost his appetite and gave up on his bone and went in the house.

So are these Americauna - Easter Eggers mislabeled? They have super sharp and long claws and beaks - are they really fighting birds? I am just grateful she is submissive to me.

I never saw this with other breeds I have known (limited but still.)

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Hens are just like people and have different personalities. My grandmother had a legnorn hen you would have sworn was from straight fighting stock. She'd take on anything if she thought there was something to eat in it for her. She'd even attack the steers!

3. luckitri

luckitri Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    I have heard that about leghorns. I have a California Leghorn that is about 2 1/2 weeks old and she competes with the larger pullets. She is also the one who escaped the pen a week or so ago and almost got killed. Hubby says they had a leghorn rooster when he was a kid and it was a terror.

I am so grateful for my best dog ever, Leslie, she protects the chickens, stops fights. She is getting on in years and we all mourn her passing in advance of it happening as we know she is irreplaceable.

Anyways, I had heard this about Leghorns but not about Easter Eggers.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    That's a good little hen! [​IMG]

About your egg stealing problem - look around for crows, rats, snakes, squirrels, or possibly your other chickens eating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by