Omg, My First Hatch!!!!!!!!!

CHIC

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Roanoke
I have a Silkie that I got about a month ago and she has been sitting on 8 eggs. I didn't know if they would hatch or what to expect. This morning, when I went out to the coop, I saw 1 little tiny baby that was out from under her. When I looked under her, there were 5 more and one on its way!!!!!!! I am so excited, they are adorable. I'm really surprised though, because she is white and they are a dark color, kinda grey. Anyways, they are the cutest things I have ever seen!!!!!!!! Thought I would share that with you. I will get pics ASAP. Oh yeah, my brooder is big enough to where I got DH to seperate it in half. I already had 25 chicks in the brooder. I brought the momma and the babies in so I can keep an eye on them. Things are working out perfectly!!!!..... Look at the next page to find the pics!!! Just added them!!

Last edited:
How great! You know, if you have more than one hen in the coop, they've all probably been contributing to her egg pile! Hens are happy to have any chicks at all, doesn't matter to them who laid the egg. ...hmmm, maybe people could learn a thing or two eh?

Seriously though, how nice it is to have a mama to chuckle over her chicks... congrats!

yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
woot.gif
clap.gif

Is the dark color normal?.... And is it normal that some of the babies vary in color(shade) when there is only one roo and one hen?

Back
Top Bottom