Omg, My First Hatch!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CHIC, Oct 11, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I have a Silkie that I got about a month ago and she has been sitting on 8 eggs. I didn't know if they would hatch or what to expect. This morning, when I went out to the coop, I saw 1 little tiny baby that was out from under her. When I looked under her, there were 5 more and one on its way!!!!!!! I am so excited, they are adorable. I'm really surprised though, because she is white and they are a dark color, kinda grey. Anyways, they are the cutest things I have ever seen!!!!!!!! Thought I would share that with you. I will get pics ASAP. Oh yeah, my brooder is big enough to where I got DH to seperate it in half. I already had 25 chicks in the brooder. I brought the momma and the babies in so I can keep an eye on them. Things are working out perfectly!!!!..... Look at the next page to find the pics!!! Just added them!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

How great! You know, if you have more than one hen in the coop, they've all probably been contributing to her egg pile! Hens are happy to have any chicks at all, doesn't matter to them who laid the egg. ...hmmm, maybe people could learn a thing or two eh?

Seriously though, how nice it is to have a mama to chuckle over her chicks... congrats!

3. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Surprisingly, she is the only hen in there. She is great!!!

4. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Congrats!!! I always get so excited about new babies. Its so much fun to watch them grow up!!!

5. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I know exactly how excited you are..been there, done that and got the Tee shirt but it is still awesome every time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Congrats!

8. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Is the dark color normal?.... And is it normal that some of the babies vary in color(shade) when there is only one roo and one hen?

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Congrats!!!!!

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations... Can't wait for the pics!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by