OMG, She's laying an egg!!!

OMG, this is amazing. Itsy is now in the hen house laying an egg while the other two lay watch at the coop door. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Has anyone had two birds that lay their very first eggs within hours of each other?

I thought Itsy and Bitsy were so much younger than Ziggy as Ziggy was like four times their size. Since I bought 6-10 week birds I figured Itsy and Bitsy were more like 6 weeks and Ziggy more the 10 weeks.

Last edited:
How exciting! Depending on the breed you may have an egg soon. Be patient although that's easier said than done. Our isa browns started laying between 16-18 weeks. After the very first egg from one of our hens she waited 5 days before laying her second egg. I was out there constantly like "come on lady, I want another!"

Today our golden sebright bantam laid her first egg. I was in the yard ecstatic yelling "kids!!!! Honey!!!! Ducky is in the nesting box!!" (Yes, our chicken is named Ducky....she was named by our 3year old)... this breed generally only weighs about 20oz full grown... shes 18 weeks old... I will say it was by far the cutest little egg I've ever seen!

Sorry, I got off topic...but yes, she may be preparing to lay one. I'd switch feeds and wait a bit since what they've been eating is medicated. No need to offer food or water, best you can do is offer her privacy while shes laying one. She will lay it then right afterwards be out doing what chickens do. :)

Regarding feed - medicated starter doesn't usually contain any sort of medicine. It usually has a thiamine blocker. And it's such a low dosage, that any that makes it into the eggs is not going to be an issue.
As for something that is safe for all, switch to a grower, flock raiser, or all flock feed. You do not ever actually need to feed layer feed. In fact, for most backyard flock keepers, it's not the best choice. It has barely enough protein for egg production. If you free-range or offer treats regularly, your birds may develop protein deficiencies, leading them to start feather picking or egg eating.
In addition, layer feed contains too much calcium for birds that aren't laying. All that extra calcium, not getting used to produce eggshells, will eventually build up in the kidneys until they fail.

I had put the new food out and came back and saw the last post. Actually you wrote about what I was thinking...that there was some other food I could feed to everyone. I just thought I read something about feeding young birds layer food too early and how it can damage the kidneys. Honesty, I'd rather not take any chances. My girls get tons of supplements each day in their diets. Do you think I can leave the layer food in the coop tonight? They will be going to bed in an hour or so. And can I leave the layer food in there for when they get up in the morning? I can't get to the feed store until 8:30 tomorrow morning.

One more thing, I can leave them on the flock food/grower food for the rest of their lives right?

The layer feed will not cause any serious issues, right away. The kidney problems are from a long term, cumulative effect. With lots of daily treats, a higher protein feed is a much better choice. Just be sure to have crushed oyster shell out for those who need it.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I especially enjoyed reading about others experiences with that first egg. But I have another concern.

Itsy and Bitsy who are only 16 weeks old both were eating the oyster shells last night. Is this safe for them at their young age?

I did got out and bought the Flock feed. This is what I plan to keep them from this day forward. This is ok right?

Forgot to mention...Itsy did not lay an egg last night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom