OMG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have an egg!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It has been 4 weeks since we have had eggs!! Whhoooo Hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    congrats, you must of been suffering from egg withdrawls [​IMG]

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yeah!!!
    (Did you have to break down and buy [​IMG] store bought eggs [​IMG]?)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
  4. Bec

Oh yes! We were so tired of eggs for a while, then when we ran out that's all we can think about! We broke down and bought some at the store, supposed to be cage free, but when we made them, they were a light yellow/white..soo gross. I tried a piece of one and it was yucky, so I am SUPER excited about this! I hope they keep it up! 1 egg out of 7 hens!

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Congratulations! I love our own eggs & my hens are not laying well right now either~~I scrambled up some of "grocery store eggs" today, and my kids were actually appalled at how very bad they tasted!

Here's to your (and my?!) hens laying MORE eggs for you. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Glad they cranked back up! Wish mine would [​IMG]

7. Bec

I will have to wait and see if there is another one tomorrow, but that would be great if they kept it up! [​IMG]

8. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I just got eggs for the first time today! I can't wait to eat them but I want DH to eat them with me so I ave to wait till tomorrow. Are your hens moulting? How diffrent do our eggs and store bought eggs look?

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    We've been lucky. Out of 23 pullets, we have been getting an average of 10 - 12 eggs per day. I don't think all have even started laying yet. But, with a big family like mine, we go thru 1 1/2 or 2 doz at a time.

Here's hoping for more tomorrow!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Bec

Quote:They are very different! The store bought ones are more runny, they cook different. They are a pale yellow opposed to our bright golden and orange yolks. When they cook, they are whitish and the flavor in NO WAY compares to our fresh eggs!
    The girls are molting, we haven't had an egg in over a month and were starting to panic! We added extra light because of the shorter days and still nothing! We were wondering if they had gone on a permanent strike!!!

Yes yes yes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by