Omlet Eglu Thread

Hi. I live in Los Angeles just 2 miles from the ocean. Not a ton of mosquitos...except in our Cube! I make sure the auto-door closes within about 10 mins of when they go into their coop. But I think the mosquitos get in through the vents. So even with the front door close, they can get in. Not sure if they know how to exit once they get in though!

I now have a ton of mosquito/fly-deterring herbs/plants in the (10'x30') extended run (just ordered a Omlet Walk-In Run!) - 2 lavender, 2 rosemary, 2 marigold, 1 basil, 1 thyme, 1 citronella plant. Plus I sprinkle the plant clippings in the dropping tray (where I also put bedding to absorb any moisture) and on the nesting box side. It seems to be helping quite a bit. But does not eliminate them altogether. I am also ordering some Pampered Chicken Mama PestsBGone Poultry Coop Herbs from Chewy and will put that in the coop too.
Soooooo jealous of the Walk-In! Pure vanilla extract/puree got rid of the mosquitoes completely.

Oh how did you use it?
I mixed some vanilla puree with water to thin it out, then used a pastry brush (you could use a paintbrush) to spatter it around the coop and around the perimeter.

Best Friends Netflix GIF by The Swoon

Love my Omlet cube so far and so do the girls. The only thing I am wondering is, right now it’s easy to move around the yard, how easy will it be when I add another three foot extension?
Both my cube & my go up have max runs attached. I have always moved them myself. I found them easiest to move by attaching the hooks of a small bungee on the lower corners. It was easy to lift the run just the right amount, stand upright while moving (important...I have a bad back) and far enough away from the skirt to avoid "ankle bites" from the skirt.

We are new chicken keepers and have been keeping our four chickens in an Omlet cube with 6-foot run since May. The run is completely covered with an Omlet tarp cover. We move it roughly every two weeks to fresh grass. As we prepare for winter in Pennsylvania, I'm wondering how I should prepare the ground under the run. I don't think we will be able to move it much while there is snow on the ground. They will destroy the grass and create mud within a few weeks, so I was thinking we will need to put down gravel or something to create a more permanent spot for it for the winter. I heard someone say they put down a layer of sand topped with a layer of pine shavings and rake out the shavings/poop every couple of weeks - would that be good. Not sure what will work best to keep clean and keep the chickens' feet in good shape. Or could the deep litter method work in a covered run?

I have the Eglu Up and the Eglu Cube. The Eglu Up was a (new) hand me down from a family member. I had my 5 EE chicks in a coop in a 10x20 run and could see that after a year, there was no more fresh greens for them so I needed a portable unit. I inherited the Eglu Up so put it together and gave it a go while I made additional plans. The Up is very crowded for 5 birds. The old 10x20 run (which cannot be moved) is now fertile ground for a flower garden.

I then ordered the Eglu Cube and their largest walk-in chicken run with plans to move everything every 6-12 months around my property. The Cube arrived about a month ago. The walk-in run should be here sometime this month. No word on when the adapters will be available so I see some "MacGuyvering" hours in my future.

I have another 5 hen chicks & 1 roo chick arriving on the 10th. After a few weeks in the bathtub, I'll use the Up for them while I wait for the walk-in run to arrive.

If you are considering either of these units, spend the extra for the Cube. It is so much easier to keep clean. The nesting area is separate & the tray below the roost area is deeper. I can throw pine shavings in and go 3 weeks between cleanings. With the Up, I had to clean every 3 days.

The photos are a bit of an unfair comparison...the Cube is right after cleaning...the Up is in it's currently disgusting dirty condition. I got the inspiration to come here and share this info after the quick effortless clean of the Cube and the now dread I have going to go clean the Up...lol.
We are putting together or Omlet Eglu Cube and were wondering if larger breeds like orps would fit and be comfortable in it. Thanks!

We are putting together or Omlet Eglu Cube and were wondering if larger breeds like orps would fit and be comfortable in it. Thanks!
The coop itself, yes. I have 3 Orpingtons that sleep in an Omlet Go with room to spare. Once or twice a week I find a couple of my Easter Eggers snuggled in with them. (They have their own coops but my birds like to play musical coops every so often) I'm not sure about the run that can come with the coop as I opted for a 9x24 walk in run instead.

Back
Top Bottom