ON, CAN - Looking for 2 Coloured Layers (EE/OE/CCR etc)

LateBirdFarms

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
Ontario
I'm beginning to worry that my Olive Egger is actually a cochin mix in disguise which would bring my possible number of coloured layers down a considerable amount after the sudden loss of my favourite EE girls (Predation issue that's now fixed)....

SO... long story short is that I'm looking for 2-3 coloured layers, EE, CCR, Isbars, OEs etc. Somehwere within 100km (W, S,SE,orSW) of Barrie On, or 60k , E, N, NE or NW or Barrie. Will do cash or etransfer.

Thank you, and absolutely No Roos/Cockerels!
Might be willing to trade a 7 week old buff laced polish baby!

Have you been watching Kijiji? There was someone posted with a lot of birds to sell. They are not sexed but are probably old enough to get a good idea. They were mostly mixes so I don't know if you are looking for pure breeds or not. He was in Owen Sound.

I've pretty much got myself convinced that I'm better off waiting for spring at this point, but I can't help but keep an eye on kijiji juuuuust in case something spectacular ends up on there :D There's a person out of Niagara that sells some fantastic coloured hatching eggs I'm really tempted to get in touch with when they put up their ad early next year if I don't see anything else before then

I've pretty much got myself convinced that I'm better off waiting for spring at this point, but I can't help but keep an eye on kijiji juuuuust in case something spectacular ends up on there :D There's a person out of Niagara that sells some fantastic coloured hatching eggs I'm really tempted to get in touch with when they put up their ad early next year if I don't see anything else before then
Probably a good plan to wait. It is hard to find special breeds here in Ontario for sure.

I can't help but feel a bit envious when I see all the posts about the wonderful breeds everyone south of the border gets to order from the hatcheries! 😏
Agreed!
I lost one of my cream legbars last month (I only had 2) and am trying to replace her. I am hoping the women I bought them from is willing to part with another, if she still has some.
I you located near Barrie? I am in Bruce County, near Lake Huron.

Bruce County is lovely! We used to have a cottage in Sauble so I've done my fair share of summers exploring that end of the province. We're fairly close to Barrie, but I use Barrie as a reference point for simplicity sake since most people don't have any cause to come out my way unless they're looking for potatoes or sod! 😅

How do you like your legbar? Is she loud? I've gotten mixed reviews on whether I should stick with my Isbars or introduce some CCLs. Sooner or later I want to try upsizing hamburgs and then getting the resulting stock to lay blue eggs and hopefully tame them a hair or two in the process. Buuuut... I'm still trying to work out where to start with that goal!

I only started with my chickens this spring, so still a newbie. My ccl is only 14 weeks old and therefore not laying yet. She is also the smallest of the flock and seems to be the lowest of the pecking order. I have hardly heard anything from her. She likes to hang around with my 4 BA's. They were sweeties and let her (and her sister) in their clique the day I brought them home. They were all about the same age (3wks).

Oooh! So you're still waiting for your first egg! That's so exciting! I can't say that feeling ever gets old, no matter how many new chicks I've raised! :celebrate This is my first year that I've done a real expansion of my flock with something other than production reds, I've had the odd different breed girl here or there, but never to this extent. I decided I don't want to deal with the reds early death and common health issues, I get far too attached. I'm hoping to have better luck with my hamburgsX, which have been amazing so far, and gorgeous, but the eggs are pretty small even if they lay daily. I've fallen so in love with the pattern that I desperately want to use them for the base breed for my own specific chicken needs. One little set back is that I might have ended up with my only surviving polish being a little cockerel instead of a pullet, which I've got no intention of using for breeding, so I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with that one if she does turn out to be a he before he starts to mount my girls. 🤔
In the last few days there's been some sudden red wattle development, just little wee nubs, but she/he only turned 9 weeks two days ago, and I can't tell by the head poof since the sheath isnt coming off the feathers so well, and it's still standing straight up, so for now I'm just going to cross my fingers, keep the polish in with the silkies and not my layers and hope for the best!

Good luck with your polish. Hope it's a girl! :fl
I did purchase three laying hens in the spring as well as 10 chicks. So I have been getting some eggs. However, I am excited for my chicks to start laying. I lost the one and 3 are boys so that leaves me with 6 young pullets. Can't wait to see what they lay. 😁

Back
Top Bottom