on here we go again!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firebugfab, May 26, 2008.

1. firebugfab

firebugfab Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    My 2 RIR's are 12 weeks and they were how we cut our teeth on chickens. Actually, it was my kids fault. TSC shouldn't put those chicks right out in the middle of the store for all to see! :eek:

My fiance is placing an online order as we speak. So much for 2 more chicks. She's ordering 5. 1 - RIR, 1 - Barred Rock, 1 - Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 - White Silkie Bantams, and 1 - Easter Egger (Ameraucanas type chickens)

So, I've raised 2 RIR's from 3 days old and it was a breeze. Anything different when raising these other breeds? They are coming from CT which is WAY FAR from NE TX.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Not sure there is a difference, but I have several kinds, and I find the silkies aren't as friendly. Just my experience so far. But you should really look into hatching, too! So much fun, and addicting! My oldest babies from TSC are about 11 weeks, my first hatchlings are now almost 1 1/2 weeks, and I am on day 3 for my EE eggs! You will need to keep them seperated from the older ones for a while, though. Good luck!!! Steph

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Watch the SLW..mine is a spoiled beast...she stalks me, rides with me in the van to go get a cup of coffee, goes to school with the kid and thinks she is a parrot. She was rotten from the minute I picked her up at the co-op feedstore. The Easter Egger will be spoiled trouble too if she is anything like our Ameraucana. She wants to sleep with the kid. Other than that...enjoy them.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    It makes me so happy reading about "spoiled" chickens. I am SO looking forward to getting mine, and I hope they will be the most spoiled of all.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the Diamond Warehouse...looking for just the right stones for their little tiaras...

[​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I want pics of these tiaras [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by