On selling chickens

Fredster

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Alabama
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, but it's about the closest one I could find, since I guess my question is technically about flock management.

Our chickens are currently in three groups:

1. The "main" flock, which is about 90 birds, is fenced in about 2.5 acres and guarded by two LGDs. This is where everyone eventually ends up.

2. The maternity / youth flock, which is currently 11 moms, about 25 chicks, and 33 young teenage chickens (too small to be with the big birds for another couple of weeks). These chickens have a smaller yard (maybe 40x75) until they go out to the main flock.

3. The hatched chicks (there are 8), which are in a smaller yard (12x15), and aren't big enough to be in the middle group yet.

Here's my basic problem: We have too many chickens. Even though we eat one or two a week, let's face it, 150+ is a bit much for two people. What can I say? We like chickens.
big_smile.png

Here's the secondary problem:

People want to buy chickens from me all the time, but I don't sell them. Not because I'm hoarding them or anything, but because I fret over how they'll be treated and what kind of living situation they'll have. I know a lot of people raise chickens in cramped cages and runs, and it pains me to think about taking ours from their almost-free-range yard and giant coop to be stuck in a tiny little area.

I also know it makes me sound all namby-pamby to worry about such things, but I still do it. My question is this: if you sell chickens, how do you get beyond the concern for how they'll be treated? Am I just overthinking it, as I tend to do with other things? I do believe people are basically good and wouldn't intentionally cause a bird to suffer, but that doesn't stop me from feeling bad at the mere thought of someone caging up one of my birds for life.

I want to sell some chickens, but I want to feel good about doing it, too.

Last edited:
If you are eating them anyway, can you take orders for fryers, butcher them, and sell them for food? At least you know how they were treated? Well, kind of.

Derby

It's not easy I feel the same way. However the people I have sold to are very excited to be getting chickens. I have had a few the just want a pet and intend to pamper the one or two they buy. If I get a bad vibe from someone I don't sell to them.

I sold some silkes today to a guy who quized me not stop on what to look for in a show quality bird. Him and his wife want to get into showing. The last batch of 10 chicks went to lady who only wants them as pets. So for the most part I don't worry about them. I would drive myself crazy if I did.

I say list them here on this site. If someone responds from here you know they are "into" chickens. I see you are in the heart of dixie. Have you checked into the Alabama thread on Where are you? Lots of great people there. Please PM me if you decide that you might sell and let me know what breeds you have. I am looking and would be happy to send you pics of my coop, run, yard and babies.

Quote:
See, I wouldn't have compunctions selling to someone like you, especially with the offer of pictures and everything. It's the people off the street that concern me.
smile.png

I hadn't even thought about listing them here, despite having sold numerous batches of hatching eggs on this very site.

I have many breeds and tons of mutts that I've hatched from eggs picked up from all over the state.

Quote:
I've actually considered offering to sell 'dead' chickens --- I kill, they clean...but I thought that was kind of weird. I don't want to sell processed chickens because I don't want the government all up in my business.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom