Once a nice hen always a nice hen?

ehoneybee

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2017
Southern Berkshires, MA
We're picking up some hens this week and they are said to be lovely birds. They are good around kids and let them pick them up. They also have no noticeable pecking order (all said by owner who is giving away for free). Should I expect the same personality when they come to live with us and our one hen? Other than a pecking order, which probably will need to be established, can I assume they will be good with our kids?

We're picking up some hens this week and they are said to be lovely birds. They are good around kids and let them pick them up. They also have no noticeable pecking order (all said by owner who is giving away for free). Should I expect the same personality when they come to live with us and our one hen? Other than a pecking order, which probably will need to be established, can I assume they will be good with our kids?
I would imagine so. If they are good natured docile birds then they should stay that way. There may be some pecking order established once they are with the other hen but they should decide that quickly. They won't be like the boys and keep on. Their nature may change if they go broody or something but I've never had a problem with my hens being agressive. I think they will have a grand time with the attention you and your kids will provide them. They will love you even more if you have a treat lol. Good luck with your girls.

Well... not always is it “once nice always nice” or something. One of my hens is mean because a dog got her when she was a baby and could have killed her. Then once again when she was older, so she isn’t as nice as she would be, but she still lets me pet her and pick her up. (But even though she’s bantam and the rooster is full size, she dominated him...)

I wouldn't assume anything. Chickens don't do change well, so there will be some adjusting for them when they get there. They might be good with kids, but they don't know your kids. They will need to get used to different people and surroundings. They may be jumpy for a while. It would probably be OK to have the kids sit quietly near them, tossing treats to get them thinking the kids aren't scary.

I wouldn't assume anything. Chickens don't do change well, so there will be some adjusting for them when they get there. They might be good with kids, but they don't know your kids. They will need to get used to different people and surroundings. They may be jumpy for a while. It would probably be OK to have the kids sit quietly near them, tossing treats to get them thinking the kids aren't scary.
This^^^

Chickens docility often has much to do with the knowledge and behaviors of the humans handling them.

Back
Top Bottom