Once a timid hen, now my best friend.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Crippledturkey, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    I have 4 Bronze hens. They will all come up to you at feeding or even at a visit, yet if ya try to pet them they take off running. Over the past few days one hen, the smallest of them all has been drooping her wings, and when I go into the run to feed them and the chickens, she will come in front of me and shake and squat to the ground tripping me. I was mowing the lawn beside the coup today and she came up to the wire and squated to the ground, shaking and I looked at her head and her eyes were half closed and fluttering. Question is, should I take her now for winter feasts due to her droopy wings and seemingly out of focus eyes, or is she like just being a turkey? She still has a couple of months before she is at her prime for the "Bird Jungle Gym, and Sauna." If ya know what i mean. Thanks for any replies.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    She's letting you know she thinks you're worthy of mating her (if they imprint on you as poults, they think you are a legitimate member of the flock).

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:x2

4. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    LOL cool, glad to be worthy. Thanks for the replies I thought she could be sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by