once broody....always broody??

mattsinger

Songster
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Davison, MI
I have a hen that I think is getting broody, a barred rock. The last three days, she stays all puffed up in her nesting box...and will hiss at me when I reach around to pull eggs out. I have taken her out....and she will make her way right back in there. Anyway, my question is once a hen goes broody, will she continue to? I dont really need one right now..but would like it if she will do it again in the spring.
thanks
Matt

She'll probably keep sitting now unless you can break her. Since she's broody now there's a really good chance that she'll go broody again for you in the spring
thumbsup.gif

I have a hen that goes broody about every two to three months. -and she sits, relentlessly.....
barnie.gif

Yes. It is normal (per my experience) for the broody to be moody and irritated with the rest of the flock. When mine is brought off the nest, she pufffs up, hisses, and will occasionally flog the other hens. (It's pretty funny since she's the smallest of the flock - li'l bitty Japanese bantam)

I have a hen that goes broody about every two to three months. -and she sits, relentlessly.....
barnie.gif

Yes. It is normal (per my experience) for the broody to be moody and irritated with the rest of the flock. When mine is brought off the nest, she pufffs up, hisses, and will occasionally flog the other hens. (It's pretty funny since she's the smallest of the flock - li'l bitty Japanese bantam)

yes, thats exactly what she is acting like
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom