Once upon a time....

Orpingtons Mom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Fredericksb'g/Culpeper VA
Once upon a time…

There was an old lady (me) who loved her chickens very much. She had five chickens, and two of them were roosters (well, cockerels really.)

One day she was lucky enough to find a good home for one of the Roos (his name was Boogie.) So, the old lady (O.L.) picked him up, put him in the car and took him to his new home, where he had three beautiful ladies to take care of: Ebony, Chicklet, and iForgot. Ebony fell in love immediately, and realized she had found the love of her life. Chicklet was jealous, but after a few days understood there was enough rooster love for her. iForgot became a fan last of all and welcomed Mr. Boogie into the coop. All was good at the new home.

Alas, at home the O.L. was beside herself. Apparently, unbeknownst to O.L. there was a beautiful hen (well, pullet really) that was carrying a torch for young Boogie. Her name was Sally. The other two hens (well, pullets really) would follow “Big Daddy” (the cockerel remaining at O.L.’s house) around as if he were a rock star. I think they were looking for his autograph. Their names were Hyacinth and Daisy (after characters in “Keeping Up Appearances”)

Well, yesterday, when the group was let out of their coop, there was some drama. Big Daddy chased Sally around the O.L.’s well-appointed free range dominion. It was heartbreaking. And, the O.L. was distraught. Does this mean that Sally isn’t attractive enough to be one of the “cool’ girls? Today, she is just an outcast, foraging at a distance from everyone else.

Please, friends and neighbors, can you give the O.L. some advice?

Many thanks.

How long ago did Boogie move out? If it was recently, it just might be that they are establishing a new pecking order.

Give it more time. I know it can be a little disheartening but Big Daddy will eventually mount all your girls. Our guy Quasi at first would mount everyone except Poopy or his sister Starlight. He would follow his sister around protecting her from the other hens and then run off to "take care of business". Now he doesnt care. He mounts everything. He leads his little harem all over the yard and when he sees fit he hops on the good foot and does the bad thing

This is terrible. And it has not gotten better. Tonight just totally pissed me off.

Sally has been ostracized by everyone, that is to say the rooster and the other two hens. All day poor Sally hangs back about 10 to 20 feet from the other three. But tonight after everyone got in for the night, well I was very upset.

Sally had just entered the coop and was frozen by the door. She wouldn’t move or relax. I put their food down, and just stood there a While because I was concerned about Sally. I knew there was something wrong… The rooster, big daddy, very calmly walked over to her and pecked her very hard on the head. Enough to make her squawk.

I gave Mr. Roo. An immediate ‘peck’ on his wing, which he did not like.

Please advise. Anyone. I just did a night check on the horses and chickens. Sally was roosting and the other three were were cuddled together on the ground (per usual)

This is terrible. And it has not gotten better. Tonight just totally pissed me off.

Sally has been ostracized by everyone, that is to say the rooster and the other two hens. All day poor Sally hangs back about 10 to 20 feet from the other three. But tonight after everyone got in for the night, well I was very upset.

Sally had just entered the coop and was frozen by the door. She wouldn’t move or relax. I put their food down, and just stood there a While because I was concerned about Sally. I knew there was something wrong… The rooster, big daddy, very calmly walked over to her and pecked her very hard on the head. Enough to make her squawk.

I gave Mr. Roo. An immediate ‘peck’ on his wing, which he did not like.

Please advise. Anyone. I just did a night check on the horses and chickens. Sally was roosting and the other three were were cuddled together on the ground (per usual)
Just give it time. He was just establishing himself as "the boss". I would worry more if the other hens were doing this than him. He just labelled her as his property. Ive had my roo do this to obstinate hens and it's normal behavior. He has to maintain his position as the protector and enforcer.

Back
Top Bottom