Once Upon an Egyptian Goose

MapleKehDucks

Chirping
Jun 11, 2019
Texas
In the late summer of 2020, we had two strange birds arrive at our stock tank. They were much larger than the whistling ducks who would often pass through. Our small flock of domestic ducks always seemed to enjoy the visitors. But these new birds made a strange sound. My husband thought they were geese because he heard a honk, but I said they were ducks because of their appearance. I began my research immediately. I looked all over the internet for every native/wild duck or goose in the state of Texas or in the general south. I could NOT find this bird! I gave up trying to sound intelligent, and Googled "duck with brown spot on chest and yellow eyes." I immediately get results; it's an Egyptian Goose. Native to the Sahara area in Egypt, this bird was introduced to other regions by people wanting to jazz up their resorts and gold courses with exotic birds. They call the ones who are wild "escapees." They are actually a DUCK but got the name "goose" because they have a slight honk to their quack. (So their babies are ducklings, NOT goslings) The females quack/honk and the males have an exotic rattle sound they make. Oh, and they mate for life.
1088crop_Feb2021.jpg
(pic by: MapleKehDucks)

Because I have a small flock that is my #1 priority, I made sure they were not aggressive. I watched how they swam and ate freely with my birds. They only seemed to dislike being close to humans. Anytime I would go out to feed my ducks, they would calmly walk away to the water and have a swim until I left again.
1097crop_Feb2021.jpg

What a treat! I had two of these beauties in my own backyard. Oh I really hoped they were a mated pair (males and females look exactly the same- just make different sounds). My kids wanted to see a little bunch of babies swimming around! We went through the fall, we went through the Texan winter (where we had snow on the ground for a whole week - first time since 1985). And when the sun returned and the grass began to grow green again, there they were! STILL with us!
1138crop_Feb2021.jpg

One day I went out to try and capture a picture of these beautiful birds. I snapped my first picture hiding behind a tree... and what did I see? THREE EGYPTIAN GEESE!
1098crop_Feb2021.jpg

Uh oh, we had an extra male that was trying to get our female. Well, our guy was not going to put up with this foolishness. I watched as our guy swooped at this intruder
1100crop_Feb2021.jpg

over and over,
1101crop_Feb2021.jpg
1110crop_Feb2021.jpg

returning to the female after every attack to rattle his man-call into the air with pride.
1102crop_Feb2021.jpg

Not today buddy, and not tomorrow, this lady is SPOKEN FOR.
1105crop_Feb2021.jpg
1121crop_Feb2021.jpg
1134crop_Feb2021.jpg

The males would drop their wings down to show off their iridescent green feathers so it was easy to tell them apart from the female. It was such a neat thing to watch! I wanted to share my pictures here for others to enjoy. I love my ducks so much, they're so happy all the time and they always make me smile.

P.S. The next day we had ANOTHER male come by, and our guy fought them both off quite ferociously until they left. A lot of biting and flapping wings. Yikes!
DSC_9701crop.jpg
DSC_9705crop.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures! We have a pair that show up once a while. The honking is quite loud and over and over. They like to stay in one neighbor's yard across the lake and it apparently annoys him. Sometimes they come over to our yard and hang around our ducks.

Egyptian Geese.jpg

At first, I did not know what types of geese/ducks they were so got a close up photo and cropped it. Then used Google photo search and it quickly identified it as an Egyptian goose.

In the late summer of 2020, we had two strange birds arrive at our stock tank. They were much larger than the whistling ducks who would often pass through. Our small flock of domestic ducks always seemed to enjoy the visitors. But these new birds made a strange sound. My husband thought they were geese because he heard a honk, but I said they were ducks because of their appearance. I began my research immediately. I looked all over the internet for every native/wild duck or goose in the state of Texas or in the general south. I could NOT find this bird! I gave up trying to sound intelligent, and Googled "duck with brown spot on chest and yellow eyes." I immediately get results; it's an Egyptian Goose. Native to the Sahara area in Egypt, this bird was introduced to other regions by people wanting to jazz up their resorts and gold courses with exotic birds. They call the ones who are wild "escapees." They are actually a DUCK but got the name "goose" because they have a slight honk to their quack. (So their babies are ducklings, NOT goslings) The females quack/honk and the males have an exotic rattle sound they make. Oh, and they mate for life.
View attachment 2567249

Because I have a small flock that is my #1 priority, I made sure they were not aggressive. I watched how they swam and ate freely with my birds. They only seemed to dislike being close to humans. Anytime I would go out to feed my ducks, they would calmly walk away to the water and have a swim until I left again.
View attachment 2567250

What a treat! I had two of these beauties in my own backyard. Oh I really hoped they were a mated pair (males and females look exactly the same- just make different sounds). My kids wanted to see a little bunch of babies swimming around! We went through the fall, we went through the Texan winter (where we had snow on the ground for a whole week - first time since 1985). And when the sun returned and the grass began to grow green again, there they were! STILL with us!
View attachment 2567259

One day I went out to try and capture a picture of these beautiful birds. I snapped my first picture hiding behind a tree... and what did I see? THREE EGYPTIAN GEESE!
View attachment 2567251

Uh oh, we had an extra male that was trying to get our female. Well, our guy was not going to put up with this foolishness. I watched as our guy swooped at this intruder
View attachment 2567252

over and over,
View attachment 2567253
View attachment 2567256

returning to the female after every attack to rattle his man-call into the air with pride.
View attachment 2567254

Not today buddy, and not tomorrow, this lady is SPOKEN FOR.
View attachment 2567255
View attachment 2567257
View attachment 2567258

The males would drop their wings down to show off their iridescent green feathers so it was easy to tell them apart from the female. It was such a neat thing to watch! I wanted to share my pictures here for others to enjoy. I love my ducks so much, they're so happy all the time and they always make me smile.

P.S. The next day we had ANOTHER male come by, and our guy fought them both off quite ferociously until they left. A lot of biting and flapping wings. Yikes!
View attachment 2567270
View attachment 2567271
Awesome pics you got.

Back
Top Bottom