One AWESOME Hubby and one lucky hen!! A snake story...

moonliteslady

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
North Texas

This story is about the black hen...

One AWESOME hubby and one lucky silkie hen!!
A little over a week ago we were out doing chores. Hubby goes in the shop to get something and I hear a yell from across the yard. (Hubby doesnt yell like that, I do.) So of course I am looking at the shop door with curiosity and confusion. Finally the door flies open with a thud and I see him with a garden tool in hand and he is after something. Finally I see what is after,  its a BIG A** Snake!! Darn thing slipped out the door and under the shop before he could get a good swing at it... We checked all the birds and they were fine, excited but fine. We went back to our chores not happy that it got away.
Later that evening hubby suggests I go count birds. Of course I request his company, its dark now and there is a snake somewhere out there... lol He chuckles at me and agrees to go.
We get out there and start looking around and dont see anything until I look in the last stall and hubby's little black hen is on the floor. I ask him to come look at her because it is strange for her to be down there. I open the gate to see better and she looks weird. He bends down for a closer look and then we see it!!! That **** snake is back and has 3 coils wrapped around her!!! I was shocked to see this and of course I start yelling and freaking out. He reached in there grabbed the whole bundle of snake and chicken and started undoing the twisted mess! The last coil let go and she hit the floor with a thud. Hubby took that snake and swung it around by the tail and slammed its head on the floor several times. He paused for a second and asks me if she is alive. Surprisingly YES she is ALIVE! I say yes but she is shocked. His focus was immediately back on the snake and killing it this time. After several heel treatments to the head and then a good ol' smacking with a hammer it was no longer a threat. He is so absolutely AWESOME in my book
1f600.png

He picks up his hen and cuddles her a bit and checks her over calms her down and actually gets her to eat a bit of scratch.
1f600.png
She is ok
1f600.png

So of course we go in to full blown lock down at bed time now. Doggy doors go on, all cracks around gates are stuffed tight and he even rewrapped both stalls with hardware wire and sprayed foam stuff to fill spots. I am not sure how many chickens actually get saved from a snake but I think she is one LUCKY little silkie!!
Now its sad to see how afraid she is in her own home but she seems to be getting better. 
1f600.png

Thanks to my AWESOME Hubby we didn't have to bury a bird.

Back
Top Bottom