One Brave Hawk

cottage19

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Eastern PA
Looked out the window just in time to see a BIG hawk swoop down between the house and barn. The girls, thankfully, ran for cover and I ran out the door. The hawk was on the ground in front of the barn door - I think it was thinking about following the girls inside but it took off when I yelled. Three of the girls ran through the barn and were hiding under a work bench. Three others were hiding under the deck and the last girl had to be talked into coming out of her hiding place. I believe this is the same hawk who gave us a scare last week. Looks like the girls will be confined to their run and another "safe" area unless we are out with them. Has anyone else noticed increased hawk activity lately? We live in eastern PA.

Had one sitting in a tree in the front lawn this morning--big redtail. Fortunately it was before the girls were out. It has been around before and the crows have chased it off. Right now it is deer season and, given that it is Thanksgiving, the woods is crowded, I suspect the extra activity is moving hawks off their normal hunting areas.

I haven't noticed an increase in hawk activity, but i have a couple red tails around pretty often..
The only thing saving my hens are the clan of resident crows, which i feed food scrapes and lots of cover for the girls to hide( lots of evergreen trees). I let my girls range after they have layed most of their eggs for the day,and the hawks fly by checking them out fairly often.I'm sure i would have had at least a couple losses by now , without my crow friends..!

Now is fall migration time for raptors, so yes you will see an increase in numbers as many of them make their way to their winter homes. Keep the chickens locked up for a few more weeks, then it will go back to normal (well until spring migration!)

I have a big Redtail that comes by almost everyday. I think she is really looking for rabbits in the garden but she has taken a few of my chicks over the past two years. She will get down on the ground and go toe to toe with our rooster. I now have 3 quineas that protect the chickens. When the hawk comes they round the chickens up under a bush that backs up to the fence and then they and the rooster stand between the hens and the hawk and so far they have been able to scare her away. It is really neat to watch them. If you can put up with their loud screeching they do earn their keep.

Back
Top Bottom