1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one bunny not being fed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dutchgirl, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    My Holland Lop litter of 7 bunnies is 4 days old.

A few of them are smaller than the rest but only one, probably the smallest one, has a shrunken belly.

It is very weak and the mother has not been cleaning its bottom very well - it is wet and dirty.

I tried restraining the doe and letting that one eat, but she wouldn't relax and the baby was too weak to try for long.

I've never had this happen before. I have no other litters available to foster to, and I'm scared to try a formula. What to do?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I'm sorry to say the bunny died not long after we saw him alive and wiggling.

But we had the nestbox inside and so we brought the mother inside to see if she would nurse it/them. As soon as she saw the bunnies she jumped inside and nursed them well for a long time. I made sure the little ones got plenty of milk, and the doe also groomed them. Now the remaining six bunnies are happy, sleeping, and are quite as full as can be. Despite two losses I'm optimistic about this litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by