One chick greets me when I open the brooder door.. Roo or friendly?

Luke13:34

Songster
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
The Naugatuck Valley
I have an upright brooder and when I come around the backside to open the door, one of my chicks (copper maran) comes towards the door while the other two (appenzeller and le fleche) run to the other side to get away from me. Is the Copper Maran just more friendly or is it displaying roo behaviour of guarding his girls against me/predator? The le fleche is 6 weeks and a confirmed pullet (she's a banty so the same size as the babies). The appenzeller and maran are about 3 weeks and I don't know how to sex them.

Mine is a Dominique pullet. Always the first to greet and she's all over you if you stand still for a moment. She's been like that from the day I brought her home.

OH, and the chick that ran like crazy to the corner every time? She's a girl, too. And she still runs.

Last edited:
I have two in the brooder, 3 weeks old now, for the last week or so, they both come jumping up on my hand to see me. The banty cochin X is always first, but my OEGB doesn't hesitate. Of course I keep them in my kitchen, and talk to them all the time, so I guess they kinda know me..???

I recently read a thread about chickens having advanced facial recognition capabilities. Maybe your Marans had better eyesight than the others!!

Last edited:
The BLRW in my avatar and two of my Dominiques practically launch themselves at you as soon as you open their pen, and they're all pullets (Daphne remains a Daphne, as her wattles are tiny at six weeks old now and her little pink comb is still just a little pink comb). They just want to sit all over humans.

My mom has been terrified of birds since her grandfather's tom turkey chased her as a kid - I will probably never be able to let the kids out of their run when she visits, since she'd probably have a fit if a hen landed on her lap!
lol.png

Why don't you post pics of the 2 you can't sex, maybe someone here can help you...we love to see pics anyhow!

Back
Top Bottom