One chick has watery poop

Apr 9, 2021
3 week old austrolorp is pooping clear liquid now. I give them starter feed (our store only sell the medicated kind). I give save a chick probiotics. And I have fed her scrambled eggs to help if she is constipated or has a blockage. She poops regularly. No pain. Vent is normal. No blood or color to poop. Just clear liquid

How is she acting? Is she active and alert? Is she drinking a lot of water? Or is she lethargic or acting puffed up? Unless she is acting off, I would stick to chick starter/grower. Probiotics are good, but most chicken feeds have those on their labels as ingredients. Is there any electrolyte in the probiotics? Electrolytes or drinking lots of water can make the droppings watery.

How is she acting? Is she active and alert? Is she drinking a lot of water? Or is she lethargic or acting puffed up? Unless she is acting off, I would stick to chick starter/grower. Probiotics are good, but most chicken feeds have those on their labels as ingredients. Is there any electrolyte in the probiotics? Electrolytes or drinking lots of water can make the droppings watery.
She seems fine. Should I stop giving probiotics?

She is puffy as if she is cold but she has a heat lamp accessible if she was cold

What is the temperature under the heat lamp on the floor of the brooder? At 3 weeks, it should not be over 80, and there should be a cooler area in the rest of the brooder. If she is puffed up she might be getting sick. Coccidiosis can be a problems at that age. Corid is the treatment. Is she eating and drinking well? What brand of feed are you using? It may already contain probiotics. If not the probiotics are okay to use.

What is the temperature under the heat lamp on the floor of the brooder? At 3 weeks, it should not be over 80, and there should be a cooler area in the rest of the brooder. If she is puffed up she might be getting sick. Coccidiosis can be a problems at that age. Corid is the treatment. Is she eating and drinking well? What brand of feed are you using? It may already contain probiotics. If not the probiotics are okay to use.
Thanks ill try that...its about 70-75 in the house. And she eats well. I give her the Ace brand of chick feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom