• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
Ok, I had 1 Splash Laced Red Wyandotte chick hatch from a set of eggs that cost me around $45. Yeah, you win some and lose some... so that's not the issue. The real issue now is that the chick was fine until yesterday and now it is chirping its fool head off whenever it sees or hears any type of movement. I have called all the feed stores within a 30 min drive and they will not have any chicks for weeks.

Should I:
1. Order a few chicks from a hatchery (any breed/sex) to keep this one company?
2. Keep just the one and just grin and bear the insistent chirping?
3. Give it away.

Last edited:
I had just one hatch and all you have to do is give it more attention... Cuddle it and if you dont want to hold it, just bring its cage/box somewhere near you adn talk to it or even just turn on a radio or the TV so that it knows somebody is nearby. After a little while that should help with the chirping.

Good luck and be patient with it...
smile.png

Get it a binky and a small mirror. Also keep its brooder near activity and give it lots of attention. Oh, uhhh, in my house, a "binky" is a small, plush stuffed toy. Better yet, if you can find a feather duster ( I could not, last week when I was even looking at Goodwill stores for one!) for it to snuggle up into.

Hi we had the same thing happen we discovered the silkies were infertile...two that were didnt hatch and the one nankin egg we threw in hatched on day 18 as healthy as can be so we gave it a small stuffed animal in this case a stuffed guppie it was four times the size of him at the time...a radio turned on low and we petted it alot...well now it is a healthy he and he lives in his own condo with the other birds and he started crowing at a very young age...he use to sit on my sons lap and watch TV with us and he was inside till about 3 months because we felt sorry for him but he is a good chicken now...his name is chic chic peep peep...named for all the little noises he used to make and he still has his guppy moves it around his cage....

I'd give it a tuff of feathers or something. Had to do that with a couple chicks 1 it worked on and 1 it didn't... but I had a broody hen so that worked for me lolol.

Well, that vote is really close to being half and half about ordering vs. keeping the one chick by itself. I have put a stuffed rooster in the brooder box, which seems to help some. I did, however, decide to break down and order 8 Naked Necks to keep her (I HOPE!) company. Thanks everybody for your input and ideas!

Back
Top Bottom